hose length for bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradknapp

New
Reaction score
what is the average or recommended hose length for the bcd? i have a 29 inch hose and it appears to be long and bows out over the left shoulder. is a 26 inch hose more appropriate?

Why don't you measure the distance with your gear set up and check?

You need to buy the length of power inflator hose designed for the BCD you have. This is not a one size fits all. I have seen BCD's with inflator hoses that go over my shoulder and still reach my waist. Why? Why do they need to make it that long? IMHO the shorter the inflator hose the better. But the power inflator hose and the BCD oral inflator hose need to match up.

The designer of my back plate and wing (DSS) has observed the following:
1. You need to fully extend the power inflator hose towards the surface when dumping air.
2. Most divers hold the inflator hose at eye level so they can hear and see the bubbles coming out.
3. Holding the hose not fully extended creates a loop ( U ) in the hose which does trap air in the bladder.
4. Given items 1 through 3 he designs the inflator hose to reach the mouth and no further. so if you hold it like most people do, then it is fully extended.

I use a 12 inch hose on my primary inflator. And a 18 inch hose on my backup dual bladder nomad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is the average or recommended hose length for the bcd? i have a 29 inch hose and it appears to be long and bows out over the left shoulder. is a 26 inch hose more appropriate?

Worrying about the difference of 3" in terms of it changing the arc of a BCD hose is not a great difference. A little leeway might be a good thing if/when you change tank height or tank size.

3" is no big deal. :gorgeous:

The designer of my back plate and wing (DSS) has observed the following:
1. You need to fully extend the power inflator hose towards the surface when dumping air.
2. Most divers hold the inflator hose at eye level so they can hear and see the bubbles coming out.
3. Holding the hose not fully extended creates a loop ( U ) in the hose which does trap air in the bladder.
4. Given items 1 through 3 he designs the inflator hose to reach the mouth and no further. so if you hold it like most people do, then it is fully extended.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I had a question on this. I have the Oceanic Probe LX bcd (jacket style). At the beginning of a drift dive, I couldn't descend. So I was trying to get the inflator hose high as I could so I could get the trapped air out of my BCD. While doing this, the Velcro on the inflator hose retainer strap ripped (I was desperately trying to get the air out, as everybody else was descending and I didn't want to get left at the surface, didn't notice I was pulling so hard) releasing the inflator hose so I could hold it higher (now no u loop) releasing the trapped air then I descended. So my question is, most BCD's I see have this strap to hold the inflator hose in place. When I descend, should I take it out of the strap so I can hold it higher, thus getting all of the air out. Then strap it back down as I'm descending? I saw a video the other day and the descending diver had the inflator hose out of the retainer strap. Maybe I just needed a little more weight? My safety stop went fine with no air in BCD, so I'm assuming weight was correct. Hope this makes sense.

I first read the OP question to imply that he was referring to the low pressure hose from the first stage reg to power inflator hose, which should not need a large bow. As far as the power inflator hose velcro retaining strap is concerned, I bypass it while diving because it does not allow full extension to release air on my Scubapro Knighthawk. I also usually prefer to use a dump valve to get better deflation.

I first read the OP question to imply that he was referring to the low pressure hose from the first stage reg to power inflator hose, which should not need a large bow.

As did I

As far as the power inflator hose velcro retaining strap is concerned, I bypass it while diving because it does not allow full extension to release air on my Scubapro Knighthawk. I also usually prefer to use a dump valve to get better deflation.

I only use this method of dumping air at the beginning of the dive then secure the corregated hose / LP inflator hose with the velcro strap, and usually never use it again as I use primarily the dump valve on my BC/Wing

Hijacking this thread. I have probably the same question. I want to buy a new regulator set with octo and first stage for travel and rent BCDs at the destination. I'll need to buy a LP hose to connect to the rented BCD. It would have to be fairly standard. I have no idea of the recommended and/or standard length or connection type. Is 26" standard? Should I get this

… or something else, like this polyester hose?

...So my question is, most BCD's I see have this strap to hold the inflator hose in place. When I descend, should I take it out of the strap so I can hold it higher, thus getting all of the air out. Then strap it back down as I'm descending?
You can just put the LP inflator hose under the velcro hose retainer and leave the corrugated hose out. That way you have full use of your corrugated hose and it still stays in place better, even if it's a little long.

You can do the same with a rubber hose retainer that might be on a wing, and just put the LP inflator hose through it, and then connect it to the inflator.

Back
Top Bottom