Cave divers find skeleton of paleoAmericans (13K years ago)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Girl's skeleton found in cave sheds light on origins of first Americans | Science | theguardian.com

Well-known Northern CA cave divers and instructors Alberto Nava and Susan Bird found one of the oldest skeletons of people that migrated to the Americas over the Bering Strait. Mitochondrial analysis of the skeleton suggests that Native Americans are of the same stock as these original Americans.

The article is not so clear about how they came across the sinkhole and why the decided to dive it. The natural human impulse for exploration, I suppose! And they added to our base of scientific knowledge! That would be a life's dream for me!

Congratulations Beto and Susan !!

- Bill

Did they also find the original dive gear?

Wow, that's cool. I didn't know people have been cave diving that long.
im like Dr Bill , wonder what their gear was like. Maybe the breathed out of a Goat bladder or something wild like that. I wonder if they practiced redundancy and used two goat bladders. Prolly used palm fronds tied to the feet for fins,and one of them got a split down the middle of it and that's what give us the split fins of today. This find could tell us a lot about the revolution of Diving.

shouldnt this be in accidents?

it's finally proven that John Wayne didn't find the Americas

Of course not....that's stupid. Chuck Norris discovered the Americas. :D

Girl's skeleton found in cave sheds light on origins of first Americans | Science | theguardian.com

Well-known Northern CA cave divers and instructors Alberto Nava and Susan Bird found one of the oldest skeletons of people that migrated to the Americas over the Bering Strait. Mitochondrial analysis of the skeleton suggests that Native Americans are of the same stock as these original Americans.

The article is not so clear about how they came across the sinkhole and why the decided to dive it. The natural human impulse for exploration, I suppose! And they added to our base of scientific knowledge! That would be a life's dream for me!

Congratulations Beto and Susan !!

- Bill

Although it may not be clear about how they came across the sinkhole (my guess is that they were looking for it), it is obvious why they decided to dive it :)

I remember a show from a few years ago where artifacts were found several thousand feet back in a cave, causing no end of confusion. They finally were able to locate the site of the original cenote in the jungle, which had been covered over by the jungle
growth to form a seemingly solid ceiling.

Wow, that's cool. I didn't know people have been cave diving that long.
im like Dr Bill , wonder what their gear was like. Maybe the breathed out of a Goat bladder or something wild like that. I wonder if they practiced redundancy and used two goat bladders. Prolly used palm fronds tied to the feet for fins,and one of them got a split down the middle of it and that's what give us the split fins of today. This find could tell us a lot about the revolution of Diving.

It must have been that split palm frond that killer her...:(

The title of the thread is misleading. Re-read the article, what Beto and Susan found is skeleton of a young girl. There is no mention that she was diving at that time. The cave could have been dry at that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom