Best place to attach Glotoob for maximum visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best place to attach the Glotoob that will work for both single and double tanks?

Preferably it can be attached to a location which can be seen from the most angles possible, be secure and the switch is accessible by the diver.

Thanks!

Back of the tank valve so it's caught between the reg and valve. Use a bungee or hairtie to loop it.
I would just keep it on for the entire dive if you feel the need for it.
If need really be, you could most likely find it and manipulate the switch in that spot.

If you want On-Off access to it with visual confirmation then you're not going to have a spot that's going to be all-visual unless you tape it to your snorkel or clip it to the mask strap.

What purpose are you thinking you would need to switch it on/off for the dive? This is for your personal location marker to your buddy, correct?

Back of the tank valve so it's caught between the reg and valve. Use a bungee or hairtie to loop it.
I would just keep it on for the entire dive if you feel the need for it.
If need really be, you could most likely find it and manipulate the switch in that spot.

If you want On-Off access to it with visual confirmation then you're not going to have a spot that's going to be all-visual unless you tape it to your snorkel or clip it to the mask strap.

What purpose are you thinking you would need to switch it on/off for the dive? This is for your personal location marker to your buddy, correct?

Thanks for the reply. I don't really understand the location between tank valve and reg. Do you happen to have a picture of your setup?

Yes it's for letting my buddy know it's me, especially on night dives where there are 6-8 divers in a group. Sometimes I forget to turn it on, or after a dive, after surfacing I want to turn it off. Currently I tie it to my BCD loop for the inflator hose, which is not an ideal location. I can't reach it and need my buddy to turn it on/off.

Or sometimes we descend and realize that visibility is poor (< 5m). I want to turn it on, but we can't do it on our own.

The mask strap is another location I was considering. It would work regardless of tank setup.

---------- Post added May 17th, 2014 at 11:25 AM ----------

Glue, wire tie or tie it to the crown of your hood

Good idea. However I dive warm waters most of the time and don't wear a hood.

I would just make it a point to turn it on all the time... So it's part of 'your thing'

If conditions require or even seem to require some kind of marker, you turn it on at the beginning of the dive and leave it on. The last thing you want to find out once down is that you have a dead battery or the switch has failed.
But if it has that should.have been covered in your dive plan. You simply use the buddy procedures you should have been using in the first place to make the marker light just a convenient, yet unnecessary accessory.
Your primary light and back up lights, coupled with good light communication and buddy skills including touch contact drills and swims, should be the focus of night/low to zero vis diving.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Replace the Tag w/ the Glotube; replace the rubber band w/ bungee or hair tie. If you use the hair tie, break it at the weld and tie a knot.
Just keep it on the entire dive, integrate it into your buddy check. You don't want to be an unmarked head on the surface of the pitch black ocean.

Tis my personal preference at least.

Gloo tube placement.jpg

My question is why use a glostick at all! Why deliberately place an entanglement hazard where you could never untangle it without removing
Your scuba unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My question is why use a glostick at all! Why deliberately place an entanglement hazard where you could never untangle it without removing
Your scuba unit.

Because the chances in open water are very slim and removing your scuba unit underwater is not the worst thing that can happen. Tradeoff for that risk is maintaining buddy contact and ID, especially if you have a multi-man team. IE color coding.
You do know we're talking about this right? Size of a AA battery?

light64.jpg

If everyone on the team has a primary and backup light there is no rational reason for a glostick.

Back
Top Bottom