New Quarry in Michigan??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
Any word on the new quarry that is supposed to open in Michigan??

I don't have any particulars but heard last year that one was supposed to open. I recently heard again that it was going to open and that it was in Monroe. This would be fantastic. I dont like the 2 hour drive to Gilboa not even the 1 hour and 20 minutes to Whitestar, but having a quarry in Monroe just about a half hour drive would be a great back up dive when the lakes and the rivers are shot for vis. If any of you have have the fat and the skinny on this I would love to know

Rooster1:
Any word on the new quarry that is supposed to open in Michigan??

I don't have any particulars but heard last year that one was supposed to open. I recently heard again that it was going to open and that it was in Monroe. This would be fantastic. I dont like the 2 hour drive to Gilboa not even the 1 hour and 20 minutes to Whitestar, but having a quarry in Monroe just about a half hour drive would be a great back up dive when the lakes and the rivers are shot for vis. If any of you have have the fat and the skinny on this I would love to know

Just got an update on the quarry yesterday, looks like the target to open to the public for diving is this spring. No specific date has been set. Will post more as I get info.

wrecNcaver:
Just got an update on the quarry yesterday, looks like the target to open to the public for diving is this spring. No specific date has been set. Will post more as I get info.

WreckNcaver: did you get the exact location?? I heard that they were looking for donations to sink (boats, junk, or whatever)

Don't hold your breath waiting for this one (no pun intended). I was in the dive shop that claims to have exclusive usage for this quarry. Their latest newsletter states that the vis has doubled since last fall. Last fall the vis was 3-6". Even if vis quadruples it doesn't sound promising. I have driven completely around this quarry and don't see a spot to get in that would require a giant leap of less than 30-40 feet or a climb of some sort down to the water. This quarry has several homes built around it and the developers just stopped dumping fill dirt in last fall. While the shop in question is soliciting donations of artifacts worth sinking, to my knowledge there isn't even a milk crate to sit on yet. The shop that has created all of the unsubstantiated buzz is NOT the shop within a mile of the quarry. I too would much rather dive in my back yard than drive over an hour to Whitestar or Portage.

Rooster1:
WreckNcaver: did you get the exact location?? I heard that they were looking for donations to sink (boats, junk, or whatever)

The quarry is a little over a mile off I75, off the LaPlaisance Road exit for Monroe. The entrance for diving would be on the old road used when the quarry was being mined. Not sure how the dive shop will set up for diving as there is no facilities or buildings right now at the site for divers. There are houses being built around the edge of the quarry, so how long they are going to allow divers is a question I have. The dive shop that is putting out the information is Scuba Center of Michigan in Lincoln Park. I was told the scuba shop in Monroe is not involved with the quarry.

Ug, three to six inches vis is not a whole lot. Ok, so my question is this. Are there any high vis dives (bsides the great lakes) in MI? It would be nice to find a few closer to home. I'm in the southwest corner close to St. Joe, am fairly new to the board, and am wanting to get wet more then I do!!

2divefor:
Ug, three to six inches vis is not a whole lot. Ok, so my question is this. Are there any high vis dives (bsides the great lakes) in MI? It would be nice to find a few closer to home. I'm in the southwest corner close to St. Joe, am fairly new to the board, and am wanting to get wet more then I do!!

From St. Joe, the closest freshwater 'inland' Michigan lake with good vis is probably Gull Lake, between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek. I'll be out there one weekend this spring (sometime) to dive, as my Brother-in-laws son is a serious diver and knows the water there. I'm not aware of other good diving near St. Joe, other than Lake Michigan....

You're invited to join us at Gilboa Quarry the weekend of 17-18 April for some spring diving. Good vis there, but several hours from where you are....

hey, Tom,

yes, i think i know where gull lake is. not a bad drive as i recall. hey, thank you for the invite. i would be diving single, so i do not have a dive buddy. and i am not certain what i am doing that weekend yet as i am involved with a music ensemble that plays at churches on weekends. but Wow! thanks for the heads up on this, and i will be in touch.

also, i take it this would be a 7 ml suit dive? i can rent one of those at j&R aquatics in niles.

cheers.

frankenmuth_tom:
From St. Joe, the closest freshwater 'inland' Michigan lake with good vis is probably Gull Lake, between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek. I'll be out there one weekend this spring (sometime) to dive, as my Brother-in-laws son is a serious diver and knows the water there. I'm not aware of other good diving near St. Joe, other than Lake Michigan....

You're invited to join us at Gilboa Quarry the weekend of 17-18 April for some spring diving. Good vis there, but several hours from where you are....

Check w/ Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor as well. I think they are planning an earth day dive at the pier in South Haven. They are pretty active all year. Also, if you stop in the store you can sign up on their dive buddy list. Finally, the MUD Club meets in Berrien Springs at Andrews the 2nd Tuesday of every month. You can get their info off Wolf's Website

http://www.wolfsmarine.com/ww/diveshop/dive.html

I'm also buddy shopping. Shoot me a PM if your interested in going to one of theese events.

2divefor:
hey, Tom,

yes, i think i know where gull lake is. not a bad drive as i recall. hey, thank you for the invite. i would be diving single, so i do not have a dive buddy. and i am not certain what i am doing that weekend yet as i am involved with a music ensemble that plays at churches on weekends. but Wow! thanks for the heads up on this, and i will be in touch.

also, i take it this would be a 7 ml suit dive? i can rent one of those at j&R aquatics in niles.

cheers.

Most of us will probably be in drysuits, but there will be some 7mil wet divers there too. I think that big-T dives wet. Don't worry about finding a buddy, there will be plenty of divers there and we OFTEN dive with a group of three. We can always hook you up with someone as a buddy once you get there. If you are renting a wetsuit, try to get a hooded "core warmer" to wear under it. That'll help you stay warm in the cold cold water of the quarry in April.

We'll have a couple 5th wheel trailers set up for our 'basecamp' with plenty of hot foods, and drinks and maybe some really excellent "Maple Porter" from the Black Forest Brewery in Frankenmuth, for after the dives!

Try to make time to attend. The bigger the party, the better the time!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom