AOW instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zznola

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, I've had one trip to the West end and really like the diving there so Im considering another trip to get my AOW cert. Ive read all the discussions on certifications and it seems that a good instructor is key. Not just someone who goes through the manual . Who did you use? What sized group? What did you like about them? Now, I am also considering an AI place but it seems silly to pay extra for the training dives when the dives are already included in your stay but I don't want to rule it out if that's where the good teachers are. Ill be there in August.

If your SB profile is correct, pursuing the AOW with 0-24 dives is a matter of logging lots more dives. Sure, get the instructor to check off the dives required for AOW, but remember that this card isn't anywhere near as important as multiple learning dives.

There are any number of fun places on Roatan to hang out and do some diving, but if you want to log bottom time and experience, nothing compares to the 27 dives in a week that you can easily get at Coco View. I don't see the math you fear in an AI- the more dives you log and do with their excellent instructors, the more you will accidentally learn while fulfilling the PADI requirements.

You can get through the AOW at any dive op on Roatan, you'll have to hit every daily dive they offer to do so. Get the books in advance, read them and take the quizzes back home. Use your time in paradise to the best advantage.

AOW is just a card to acquire... life experience is in bottom time. Decide if you are going to get as much as possible while away from New Orleans, or just enough to get the card.

Yeah doc I just realized that I hadn't updated it. I'm now at 35 dives. Still not a ton but a few more. And it is the teaching I'm seeking and not just the card which is why I'm asking about recs for great instructors. I took a peak bouyancy class last time but felt that the teacher just went off a checklist of skills but really didn't teach them well. you are right though, I did get to ask questions and get tips throughout the week from all the dm's without being in a course and I'm sure I'd learn a great deal from a full week at CCV . Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stick to West End AND/OR the north side from AKR toward West End----for better diving...Only thing you'll miss is Mary's Place on the south side, which a lot of WE & north side dive ops visit in the course of a week......IMO..

In the west end, Will Welbourne at coconut tree is a very good teacher.

Regarding taking AOW soon after OW, I've seen lots of students get the most benefit taking the two courses concurrently. Think of the two as simply a more complete certification class. Of course the value of doing this, as with any scuba instruction, is heavily dependent on the quality of the instructor.

Yeah doc I just realized that I hadn't updated it. I'm now at 35 dives. Still not a ton but a few more. And it is the teaching I'm seeking and not just the card which is why I'm asking about recs for great instructors. I took a peak bouyancy class last time but felt that the teacher just went off a checklist of skills but really didn't teach them well. you are right though, I did get to ask questions and get tips throughout the week from all the dm's without being in a course and I'm sure I'd learn a great deal from a full week at CCV . Thanks.

Hi Zznola,

I've lived in Honduras for the past 3 years. I spent 2 years on Utila and the last year here on Roatan as a freelance Instructor (PADI Staff Instructor) and can tell you that you will have a hard time finding the caliber of Instructor you are looking for at any old dive shop without getting very lucky. Most Instructors I've seen, do the job for the easy going lifestyle, not because they love to be great at something and teach it well. In fact, many, many Instructors I've come across down here take little pride in their work and conduct their courses according to how easy it is for them to get through the class so they can go get drunk....again, regardless of what the safety standards are.

The fact of the matter is the majority of dive shops here are in business to make as much money as possible and the quality of Instructor often suffers as a result. In my experience, this leads to management or owners, overlooking violations of standards in order to keep a smooth flow of student courses going in order to maximize profits. Instead of making sure they give the students all the information they need to gain confidence and competency during the classes, and hone their skills later on, they focus on the bottom line and the quality of experience they give the customer suffers most in the end.

You've already experienced this once so you know how bad it feels. Well, I do too. There's nothing worse than coming home from an expensive dive vacation feeling let down or worse yet, unprepared for diving circumstances you waited for, and saved for, the entire year to get trained up for. It would really suck to go back home no better prepared than you were before you left for training.

I've been teaching people for over 20 years, acquiring my first position as a certified Instructor, from the US Army's National Training Center (NTC), Ft. Irwin, California in desert warfare and survival. I've had the pleasure of taking many courses over the years and have had some of the best Instructors I've ever seen and I've had some of the worst Instructors I've ever seen and it absolutely pays to do your homework on an Instructor before you ever leave home.

You should never have to leave home wondering who your Instructor is going to be. IMO, if they are too busy to assign you an Instructor to ensure you get the most out of your course, (meaning being available to answer questions about your course and offer any advice for your trip), then they are too busy to accept your hard earned money. This is the sort of place you are likely to feel let down by.

Also, ask them how many people they certify every year. If they brag about big numbers, then you know they're what we call a "cert mill" or certification mill and NOT where you are likely to get the quality of personalized training you're looking for. You should, after all, be able to go home and continue to hone your newly acquired skills on your own. You should never leave a class feeling like you need to pay another Instructor to go over it all again because your last Instructor only showed you how to do the basic skills listed on their cue cards and then it was time to party and go celebrate your new certification. Most of them never consider investing more money to become a better Instructor. They think that because they're a scuba Instructor they know it all and nothing they do is wrong.

This is where I am different than most. I do a lot of solo tech diving to hunt lionfish and explore the island for deep water lionfish habitat. As a tec diver, I am constantly working on improving my skills and knowledge base. I have so much less of a safety cushion compared to no stop buddy diving, that either I constantly self evaluate my skills, and gear, and keep them fresh and clean, or I risk making a mistake that could easily send me to the chamber or maybe even kill me.

This habit of being in a state of constant learning means I can teach a class and make my courses better for my customers' specific needs at the same time and this is why I would like to offer to be your Instructor for your Advanced Open Water Diver course, when you come in August.

If you're interested in talking more about your course, or Roatan, or lionfish hunting, lol, feel free to send me a message and I'll help you as best as I can.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I conduct most of my courses on the North side and have exclusive permission to shore dive Mary's Place? Which means you don't have to wait on a dive shop from the West End to go there because they RARELY get out to Mary's Place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
Will at Coconut Tree is a fantastic instructor, but does not usually teach AOW because he primarily teaches instructor classes.
If you go to CTD's web page and find dive crew you should find an instructor Ted Anger.
I assisted on a AOW with him last year.
Ted is by the book as far as PADI standards and teaches to mastery.
enjoy

I did my AOW at Bananarama on West Bay. I can categorically state that they were NOT the type of instructors that KellyAsh describes above. Yes, they are easy-going (as in patient) but not laxidaisical (sp?). I would highly recommend them. I did my AOW with Martin (who is now running Sun Divers in West End) and Rescue with Marco (still at Bananarama.)

Carl

Thanks all I'll let you know what I decide.

Hahaha! You guys named most of the good guys I know of here, except Martin with Sun Divers. I don't think I've ever met him, or worked with him, so I can't judge him at all.

All those people that were listed are good Instructors who live and breathe dive Instruction. The guys I'm referring to are the younger, usually newer Instructors that flood shops for the high seasons and head out when it gets slow. These guys far outnumber the good, truly professional Instructors when most folks are on vacation so it's not uncommon to get a very basic specialty class when you're a first timer at a place during the high season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom