Trim changing with depth (new wetsuit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove a new wetsuit this week for the first time in forever. Typically dive dry. The suit is a 7mm farmer john type. I have a Freedom Plate (~4lbs I think), and distribute weight in a weight belt and in a pocket on the butt portion of my crotch strap.

I did two dives. On the first dive, upon descent I trimmed significantly head down (head down has been problematic for me even in the drysuit). I removed some ankle weights from the belt pocket and had my buddy put them on my ankles. Trim was better, but still a bit head down when settled. As I descended, my trim started to improve, but eventually started to be head up. As I ascended, it changed back to head down. Second dive was less dramatic since I put the ankle weights on my ankles at the outset.

I know that the new neoprene in my legs must be causing this swing as it compresses, but I'm wondering if this is just going to be a "dive it till it settles" kind of thing, or if anyone has run across this before and has some means of controlling for it. I move very little when I'm in the water, so static trim is important to me.

It's not just neoprene compressing but the air you put in a BCD to replace the lost buoyancy from the neoprene compression that makes neoprene a problem, because you lose leg buoyancy, and gain upper body buoyancy.

Farmer Johns at least put the thickest part up top, so they are better but there is always a change in trim with wetsuits.

There is a reason why people prefer dry suits, though they come with their own problems.

If you dive a steel tank you can move your BCD up or down a little thus moving the weight of the cylinder (and integrated weights). Just make sure the BCD is not done up too tight :wink:

DiverGuam hit the nail on the head. Farmer Johns are notorious for affecting one's buoyancy.
I distinctly remember the first time I dove a 7mm FJ. Upon ascending, I got to about 18' and I started taking off like a helicopter . . . lesson learned.

Safe dives . . . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

Back
Top Bottom