Probably another SM tank thread...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fiziks

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but for those of you that dive steel tanks, do you prefer the shorter fatter (8") tanks or the taller thinner (7 1/4") tanks and why?

I dive steels - twin Faber 12 litre tanks, I use the taller/slimmer ones. The main reason I started with then was because they were my twinset, which I then split, but based on experience since where I have used both dumpies and talls I prefer the talls for two main reasons.

1 - taller/slimmer tanks sit closer to the side of the body and reduce profile
2 - they also allow more room to move the bottom band up or down to shift the tank weight up or down a bit to allow me to fine tune trim, I can't move a dumpy tank anywhere near as much to position it where I want it.

I dare say there are good reasons to use a dumpy as well :) - but I don't for the above reasons.

Dive safe - Phil.

Last edited:
Depends upon the dive. I generally dive 3 sets of tanks. LP 50'S , HP 100'S & LP 120'S. I enjoy the lp 50's the most and with a cave fill of 3600 - 3800 they are about 80 cft in a little tank. I really can't tell the difference in my 108's and my 120's when they are in the water except for the gas volume. In short it depends upon your dive.

i'm a little hard of hearing.....did you just say you fill a LP50 to 3800psi ??

i'm a little hard of hearing.....did you just say you fill a LP50 to 3800psi ??
Gawd not another one of these overfilling paranoia threads.

I'll throw my boots on the pile.....longer / thinner, HP 110s/ LP 95s and AL80s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gawd not another one of these overfilling paranoia threads.

i'm not gonna go there. you guys are big boys. you fill your tanks to whatever you and your buddy are comfortable with.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 05:49 PM ----------

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but for those of you that dive steel tanks, do you prefer the shorter fatter (8") tanks or the taller thinner (7 1/4") tanks and why?

i'd like to try a steel tank similar in shape to the luxfer allum 40's. i have not seen many different varieties of cylinders. is there such a steel tank out there ??

Yep, Faber LP50 steels are about the same size as al40's.

thank you jim. a bit more money but maybe a better investment in the long run. and might work better for SM than the alum luxfer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom