PADI Divemaster or CMAS*** for conservation career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm pursuing a career in marine conservation, and in the UK most jobs require you to be at least Divemaster/CMAS*** level, even in aquariums (DEFRA specifications). I am currently PADI AOW certified and have alot of experience doing reef surveys, and am hoping to do my Rescue course next month. However, I have found a very good instructor who is willing to allow me to undertake a CMAS*** internship with them in Spain for 2 months. Seeing as I need the qualification more for the skills and experience rather than for a professional career, would this be alright to do? Then again, I don't want to rule out teaching in the future...

Thanks in advance :)

Kelly

I'm not clear on what your question really is. Do you want to go to Spain for 2 months? If so, I don't see why doing this would make it so you can't be a DM or Instructor later....you'd still need to pick up Rescue, but that's not costly or time-consuming. Two months of interning in Spain is indeed costly and time-consuming. however, it does seem like in two months you could do the CMAS internship AND do Rescue and DM.

Thanks for your reply :) I have 2 months until starting my masters so wanted to do something useful (and fun, any excuse to dive somewhere warm!) I can't do all three there because the dive centre is CMAS only. I have family there I can stay with so it is the cheapest option I have found looking at internships. Basically I'm asking whether it is worth doing or whether I should just find somewhere else and do DM. But like you said, this doesn't stop me doing it in the future. Is CMAS*** equivalent to DM for crossing over?

Thanks again

Kelly

This document: http://www.stranypotapecske.cz/kurzy/cmaspadi.pdf captures the equivalencies and transfer points.

While CMAS*** and PADI DM are approximately equivalent, neither prepares you for the next higher level in the other agency. Why? Each agency has somewhat different materials, assessment techniques, ways of teaching, etc.
So, the CMAS*** would not allow you to enter PADI Assistant Instructor course. You could enter the PADI DM course, but all you need for that is CMAS**.

Your time in the CMAS*** training would not be wasted and would certainly make the PADI DM course easy. Your skills would be honed, and your theory would be enhanced.

You'll find a lot on ScubaBoard and elsewhere about CMAS/PADI equivalences....but CMAS*** is the first leadership level for CMAS, as DM is for PADI, and either allows you to go to the next level and be an instructor. The big thing for you is do decide is if you want to keep working within the CMAS world, or in the larger world, where PADI will be more advantageous.

It's not a pro level but have a look at the Unified Team diving scientific diver course. Many universities and government agencies have taken it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This document: http://www.stranypotapecske.cz/kurzy/cmaspadi.pdf captures the equivalencies and transfer points.

While CMAS*** and PADI DM are approximately equivalent, neither prepares you for the next higher level in the other agency. Why? Each agency has somewhat different materials, assessment techniques, ways of teaching, etc.
So, the CMAS*** would not allow you to enter PADI Assistant Instructor course. You could enter the PADI DM course, but all you need for that is CMAS**.

Your time in the CMAS*** training would not be wasted and would certainly make the PADI DM course easy. Your skills would be honed, and your theory would be enhanced.

I'm not sure this is correct/current. My PADI Course Director manual says CMAS*** is OK to enter an IDC for AI or OWSI training. And the standards for admission to the CMAS Instructor* training say CMAS*** or equiivalent.

I suspect your best path is the two months in Spain, and then decide where you want to work. If in the UK, for example, CMAS Instructor* is readily available to you. If somewhere else in the world, the PADI OWSI is also available.

CMAS three star is the route I'd take. It includes rescue skills and the content is easily equivalent to DM. If not more. I'm a CMAS two star instructor and was a PADI DM. The CMAS course is going to give you some leadership skills and knowledge as well as more dive theory than DM. A CMAS three star diver will get more theory and actually learn how to calculate actual emergency deco times on the fly. You don't see that in even in some agency's instructor courses.

I am a bit puzzled by your first post, because you start by saying that for your intended line of work, jobs require DM / CMAS 3 level and later say you don't need CMAS 3 for a professional career... Are you referring to a career in diving as in a dive centre or being instructor?

There is no problem in becoming PADI instructor if you are CMAS 3.

Why haven't you considered BSAC? I'd find it weird if it wasn't also accepted. And from BSAC you can also get CMAS cards.

Finally, are you sure that for working in marine conservation a recreational certification is enough? I'd have expected a commercial one to be required...

This fellow wrote "I need the qualification more for the skills and experience rather than for a professional career", so he isn't looking for a professional PADI degree. Something about the way it was presented left me & apparently several orhers with exactly the opposite impression at first. -As Jim Lapenta said, great course & go for it.

The question that wasn't actually asked is an interesting one: Would a CMAS*** be required to take the PADI Divemaster course as a prereq. for a PADI Instructor course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom