Saba Trip Report - Nov. 28-30, 2001

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
(Our travels took us to St. Maarten, Saba, and Key West. I'll write separate on each locale.)

We took The Edge Ferry from St. Maarten to Saba on Nov. 28. The 1 hr. 15 minute right was pretty smooth until we got close to Saba, then the rollers were starting and by the time we were met by the dive boat (Big Blue, Saba Divers), rollers were around 5 feet (still mild compared to some situations we've faced in Monterey, California).

During our three days there, we dove 5 of the 30 sites offered on Saba: Diamond Rock, Hole in the Coner, Man O'War Shoals, Twilight Zone and Tent Reef Ledge. We saw black tip sharks, eels (including a rare golden eel), peacock flouder (pointed out by my sharp-eyed husband who can't see things above water, but once he's under, watch out). A charming barracuda took a shining to my husband and hung out between us at Diamond Rock for about 2-3 minutes ... seemed to be smiling the entire time.

We dove with Saba Divers, which from everyone else's comments "caters to the European market." However, that being said, we were catered to quite well, thank you. Although we were the only Americans on the boat (which only holds 10 people MAX -- and we had a maximum of 7 for our entire time, usually was only 5 of us), you would not have thought anything. They were well-informed of the local critters, gave thorough dive briefings, and were very helpful with camera/video gear.

We stayed at Scout's Place, which has been completely renovated since the last hurricane went through. We saw some of the "during" pics from their renovation, and boy, did they have a lot to do.

The people on Saba are generous spirits who welcomed us into their homes with open arms. The scenery is lovely, the quiet is just what we wanted, and the diving was incredible. What more could one ask? Well, I don't want it to become "spoiled." but I can heartily recommend it.

We enjoyed it so much, we are going back next year for our 10 year anniversary. Want more info? Let me know ...

Margaret

Glad you enjoyed Saba. It's on my hit list as a must do. Now if I could just win that dang lottery, I'd be set. As far as the pic goes, about the best you can do is provide a link to it or post it as an attachment. The management here at ScubaBoard has decided that it's in the boards best interest to not allow the displaying of images directly in posts. That keeps the board free from pictures that might be objectable to some of our members.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom