Roatan in mid-August - hotel recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carol_swimmom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Roatan in mid-August.
My choices are CCV, AKR, or RHR. Which one should I pick?
We are laid back, don’t drink, like bird watching and nature, and enjoy evening dives or snorkels. Travelling with our 18 year old son, also a diver.

We normally dive in Curacao yearly, but want to try something new this year. Is there someone who has been to both who could compare them for me?

Lastly, what is the typical weather at this time of year?

Thanks in advance…

RHR snorkeling and house reef access from shore can get sporty in a good breeze. Scuba from shore will require some coordination with the staff too. The resort does offer one night boat dive as part of your week, weather permitting.
CCV offers the very protected front yard and Prince Albert 24x7 by snorkel or tank. To use atank it's grab and go. Night boat dive is an extra charge.
Bird watching.. Both places are on relatively small pieces of land, you won't (can't) wander far, looking for birds. They have to come to you, sort of.

I can't speak to AKR having never stayed there.

With the parameters you set forth, I would suggest CCV in August. While Roatan is not typically in the tropical storm path, it is a possibility, and August is the season. The south side of the island is the more sheltered side in the event of bad weather, which would mean either RHR or CCV would be better. Based on the previous post, I guess CCV would be best for you.

August is my favorite time of year for Roatan diving. The water column is simply buzzing with life.

Besides a shot at the Coral Spawn, everywhere in the Caribbean, there are numerous larval stage critters taking their best shot at avoiding larger predators higher on the food chain. Some folks might find disconcerting the common night time influx of Blood Worms which swarm like bugs around dive lights. They present an excellent opportunity for you to feed Basket Stars, Crabs and feeder polyps on the Corals. Quite a show!

I have been diving at with and or around your three choices, I always stay at Coco View. Getting 27 dives in a week is an easy goal. I would put Roatan weather concerns fairly low on the list during August.

Let us know what you select, and please post a report in this forum upon your return!

I'm not NetDoc, nor am I the famous Doc Radawski who is a permanent exhibit of the CoCoView Zoo, Dinosaur Section. Doc R is famous for many things in the dive world, but most people saw him wax poetic on the topic of Roatan's Crystal Skulls, true stories he told on some History Channel advertorial for the Indiana Jones movie of the same name. NetDout's cohorts just "invaded Roatan", but they dive an entirely different zone.

I have been to Bonaire many times, Curaçao for only two trips, I liked Bonaire better than the other ABC's, but it was for the shore dive variety and access. Since the hurricane, I am not enamored with it, nor am I fond of the cars being a looting target. I digress.

Roatan is a very big island for being such a small island. The local zones of diving vary dramatically from one locale to the next. CCV is located in the middle of a very unique zone, anywhere in the Caribbean. That the long, narrow island lies in a thin strip some 17 miles long in a cattywampus stretch running SW to NE. This not only creates a barricade against storms (which come from the North), but it has also shaped the architecture of the local reef structure.

Reef structure in this zone begins within a close snorkel from the shore. It breaks in 5 to 20' of water and is straight vertical wall to a 90' sand shelf. Because of its position the the Sun track, this shallow environment is a florid collection of Soft and Hard Corals. This creates a nursery for a huge variety of fish and crustaceans. This is not a prime location for gawking at Baracudas or bigger more common Caribbean denizens, although the shore dive has resident 3' Cuda, long term mated pair of 2' Puffers, and it is not uncommon to see Rays, and huge groupers frequent the Front Yard wreck at night. I have seen three types of Sharks, and even a Whale Shark from a shore dive... But that's not what it's known best for.

It's all in the details. The zone I describe rewards to slow pace diver, staying shallow, with perfected buoyancy and good close-in observational skills. As the naturalist DMs often say, "Go slow, Seymour".

In response to you question, Roatan in general has shorter viz numbers. This becomes increasingly unimportant as you start to look at things the size of a file card, down to a match head. Amazing what you see in that nursery.

The on-site dive shop sells inexpensive glass magnifying lenses. A pretty common sight at CCV. When Stan Waterman is shooting macro, CCV is where he stays. Ditto for the original images you see in the Paul Humann books. Usually, when divers of any level come to CCV, they walk away satisfied IF they stay with those naturalist DMs. I do my 27 dives in a week on air, I stay that shallow, only occasionally below 55'.

Its a great place to begin you dive career, but I will say that divers at other South side resorts commonly leave with the impression that there is no fish life. The other zones West/North West enjoy the advantage of the Roatan Marine Park protection. This creates a haven for larger Pelagics, with which newer divers are still quite agog. Some divers spend their entire careers staring at Lobsters and paid for Shark Rodeos, needing reef architecture shape to stay engaged. Most other resort DMs on island sneak food to the critters. It increases tips.

The reef shape, the nearness to shore, 2 intact placed wrecks plus a busted up DC3 aircraft... The critters look at it as "structure", and that is what they like. Even on the shore dive pathway marked by a heavy chain, swivel your head and look around the floats... You'll likely see Squidlets hanging out when you're in about 10 fsw.

It is a no apologies, throwback dive resort. No tv in the rooms, the bar scene is not hopping, everybody is out diving or eating or sleeping. You will be surrounded by people who came to dive. These are the kind of folks who easily engage in conversation and generally have some interesting techniques they will share.

Stick close to the DM, bring a flashlight on every dive. You might well expect a couple of daily Sea Horses, and the more elusive Pipefish.

So, after all that, I can only say that from 6" of water at my CCV cabin door, on the chain path to the wreck, plus all of the local dive sites, this area is tops in my book for critters.

Well I saw the post and to not say something would be a lot like watching a mugging take place and not doing anything about it. I just came back from there, stayed a week at AKR. They run a top notch operation. The accommodation was a little rustic. but I enjoyed the change. The staff are always there, always helpful... . I hate to suggest that if it is sea life you want to see, Roatan is not the place. 1 ray, 2 turtles, an occasioal 20lb grouper. No large schools of fish over a few ounces, no eels. The most fish of any size that I saw in one place was on the shark dive and that was the sharks. I have hours of movies with nothing but reef, coral and a couple of wrecks.

I don't know where you are, but save your money. if you can afford it, go Cayman. I saw more critters there in December, in an hour, than I saw on Roatan all week. Key Largo would be my bet for August.

For birdwatching try Carambola Gardens.
The Garden today, is a wildlife habitat to resident tropical birds such as Caribbean White Crown Pigeon, Smooth Bill Ani, Golden Fronted Woodpecker, Brown Hawk, Fork Tail Emeralds and Green Breasted Mango Hummingbirds just to name the most common and a sanctuary to various species of migrants such as Warblers, Vireos, Thrushes, Tanagers and others from Mid August to May each year.

Which, if you haven't already decided, is 5mins. from AKR.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom