Canadian Boat Dive Regulation; Flag Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traijin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought this would be the best place to ask. My extended family has had a piece of property in the North Channel of Lake Huron for a long time. I've been going up to the Bay of Islands for vacation for my entire life. In the last 3 or 4 years, my girlfriend and I have gotten into wreck diving. I've done many Huron Dives, a few Erie Dives and a bunch of Caribbean Wreck dives.

I found a very neat wreck that's not too far from our vacation property and will be diving it in a few weeks. I already have all the logistics worked out for our dive and dive boat. I don't need a full primer on private dive boat safety. I have all the basics already including a full O2 kit. I am curious about the application of the written Canadian boat dive law.

I found this helpful Article: Canada Dive Flags

It states "The Collision Regulations Rule 27, made under the Canada Shipping Act specifies that the dive boat must carry a rigid representation of the international code "A" flag not less than 1 metre (39.25") in height if the boat has divers down and cannot maneuver."

I prefer to respect the laws of the hosting Country I am visiting. Perhaps I am not reading the regulation correctly. That sounds like a big old piece of plywood painted on both sides with the "Alpha" or maybe a big 40" flag with a spring wire. I have a Red and White Diver Down Flag that is 20" x 25" with a spring wire. I can't even find an International Alpha flag that is big enough. Here is the typical result I find: Alpha Dive Flag 31X36 inches at Divers Direct The description doesn't mention a spring wire at all. Is the measurement in the regulation Diagonal?

The chances of running into the OPP are slim but I don't want to be a scofflaw. What do the local folks do for private boat diving?

Thanks

I would contact a Tobermory dive op and ask them or at least have them put you on to someone there in the community that knows for sure (there is a Cdn CG detachment in Toby). Call Lynn at Divers Den Tobermory`s Diving Center 519-596-2363 -- she should know.

Fly an Alpha (and a legal one)..... If you can't buy one, sew one.... use a fiberglass rod (driveway marker) as the stiffener in a pocket....

As I dive Erie, splitting time between the US and our Northerly Brothers on various wrecks, I fly both off the antenna of my boat....

Not worth the hassle of a LEO having a bad day, and taking it out on you....

(unless the LEO is having a real bad day, the Divers Direct is likely big enough - for years we dove under a pair of 12" flags with never a hassle)

curious as to what others will say....

Making one was a good idea. I bought some blue and white polyester and sewed up a good looking double sided flag with corner pockets. I already had grommets so TCI is $22.00 plus what ever I end up spending on a stiffener. Dimensions exceed required minimums. I also learned that my skills with a sewing machine leave a lot to be desired.

Thanks for the idea.

It states "The Collision Regulations Rule 27, made under the Canada Shipping Act specifies that the dive boat must carry a rigid representation of the international code "A" flag not less than 1 metre (39.25") in height if the boat has divers down and cannot maneuver."

This rule is not specific to Canada as it is valid in the US and internationally as well.

Contents.html

I have never seen an alpha flag that large on any of my charters here in Canada. Most fly both the alpha and dive flags in the range of 12 -18 inches tall.

Btw the red and white diver down flag does not have a status and a lot of boaters don't know the significance.
We, in the Netherlands, also fly the alpha flag you mention, on our boat (an old Coast Guard ship) that always attracts their attention ( nostalgia I guess), but no complaints so far.
But we're evidently not in Canada :)

This rule is not specific to Canada as it is valid in the US and internationally as well.

Contents.html

I have never seen an alpha flag that large on any of my charters here in Canada. Most fly both the alpha and dive flags in the range of 12 -18 inches tall.

Alpha flag is not required in "Inland Waters of the US", but is for International Waters. For inland Waters of the US, the Red/White flag is required. 99.99% of boaters in the inland waters of the US don't have a clue what the Alpha flag means, and likely, 75% don't know what the red/white "diver down" flag means....

If you are flirting with "the line" in the Great Lakes, fly both.....

Don't know if people in Ontario are any better but in B.C. we were taught (albeit a while ago) to be aware that flying an Alpha flag will attract curious boaters who want to know what you're up to. If you're doing it for safety then anchor it 200m away from where you're diving. :D (that was only 1/2 tongue in cheek) Either way, chances are that casual boaters will recognise the diver down flag more readily. I would fly both.

Also, if you're planning on diving a wreck then it's a good idea to contact the local authorities and gain some information about the status of the wreck. The Canadian authorities can occasoinally become spastic about two old bits of broken wood on the bottom because someone wasn't sure what it was and decided to err on the side of caution in case it was the archaeological discovery of the century.

... or they could say, "whatever".

you just never know until you call them.

R..

This turned out to be an excellent thread. Thanks for the input. Now I have a regulation Alpha and learned kinda'/sorta' how to use a sewing machine. I did not discover the wreck and its well known and documented. It just happens to be quite close to where my family has vacationed for a few generations. We maintain good relationships with the OPP and there are so few people up there that we know a lot of the local folks in the closest town. We try hard not to be stereotypical "Ugly Americans" I will be flying both flags. So, in June, if you see a 28' Parker in the North Channel flying a big Alpha and a Red/White, it'll be me, my girlfriend and my Father/dive tender.

Thanks Folks!

Back
Top Bottom