Cheap from Phx?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for some recommended trip ideas from Phx between now and August.

Specifically cheap (affordable) air fare.

So far I have checked Coz, Cancun, Punta Cana, Bonaire, Aurba, Curacao, Hawaii (mutiple islands), and Nassau.

I don't want to drive or fly to Baja or San Carlos, I would like to NOT look at the desert for a few days.

Nassau is pretty cheap right now around 500 rt, and I always like it, but our last couple of trips have been there.

The others I have been looking at are around 700-900 RT.

Anyone know of a location that is tropical, and fairly inexpensive to fly to? I know the right fares are often found by knowing who flys where, out of the hub or nearest airports.

I assume the Carribean will be my best bet, and I have already checked what I consider to be the 'usual suspects' but I am open and looking for suggestions, even if the diving isn't great (GASP).

Thank you,

Jeff

Been to Roatan? Certain Fridays there's a R/T flight for under $350.

On very specific Fridays, you can take the Delta red-eye east arriving Sat. morning around 11AM. The flight back isn't until the following Sat. morning which fits in perfectly with the AI resort schedules. (Cocoview, FIBR, Reef House etc.) You can also stay/dive cheaply in the West End at any number of places.

Here's an example.
Capture.jpg
If you use Matrix - ITA Software - and set your departure day/trip days - it will show you the lowest fares for that month.

I haven't been there. I have searched prices and it always comes up with a crazy price. I dont think I have ever searched for the Friday departure... Guess thats the top tip for the day so far. Keep them coming!

Thanks,

Jeff

$403 to Belize. Same deal - Friday night departure. This one is the shortest of them with early evening departure - there's some 12 hr. flights leaving just before midnight also for the same money. Other dates in July/Aug for $383.

Ambergris Cay can be pretty reasonable or if you can go 3 weeks from now, Whale Shark diving is a possibility off Gladden Spit.
Check Splash Dive's website if interested - they even bundle the inter-country flight. Good people, my friends did it three years ago. Ralph Capeling from Splash posts sightings in the Belize foum. They'll pick you up to go diving also but there's longer boat rides from that area to some of the better dives. Although Ambergris isn't particularly optimum either: http://splashbelize.com/

2014 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:

[-]March 16th to March 25th
April 15th to April 24th
May 14th to May 23rd[/-]
June 13th to June 22nd

Capture2.jpg

That's about all I can think of that's going to be reasonable into the Caribbean without long layovers or upwards of $6-700 this close to your planned time.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help.

We decided to go back to the Bahamas this time. It was inexpensive and reasonable to get to.

My wife really likes it there to, a good mix of things to do, diving and hotels. This trip isn't as much about diving as it is about chillin and relaxing. ( We will dive though, probably most days, but out, and in, morning two tanks then pool all afternoon)

We spent some time in Belize a couple of years ago, and we liked it, but the diving around Ambergris Cay wasn't too good. The day boats were, but I dont think we want to spend all day on a boat (this time)

I will remember your advice. I am SURE we will visit Roatan using your advice. We havent been there yet and it looks like good diving is plentiful and cheap.

Thanks again,
Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom