Proper fit of neoprene drysuits, tighter than trilams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just started diving dry (4 dives so far), went and bought on ebay a newish Northern Diver neoprene drysuit, size M-Large-T, which according to Northern Diver’s sizing chart is my size. The neck and wrists (also neoprene) are a bit tight, normal (?) The rest of the suit feels loose (see pic):
IMG_7483 cropped.jpg
It feels like the size large trilam suits I've tried. I know the extra room is for undergarments, but I don’t plan on wearing wooly fleeces, just a thin wicking base layer in 50-60 degrees occassionally. Not going diving under ice or multi-hour decompression dives anytime soon. So, my concerns are: the squeeze from all the loose fitting material (it was very uncomfortable when I wore large trilams; and no squeeze when I was fitted properly at DUI Dog day). Air in the feet, which I’ve yet to conquer, but hope to with more practice. Shouldn’t neoprene drysuits fit a bit tighter than trilams? Aren't they supposed to be warmer too??

Thanks everyone - Baby drysuit diver :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_7483 cropped.jpg
    IMG_7483 cropped.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 853
Looks about right to me. Neck and wrist seals will loosen over time, if too tight, put a large object in them for a week or so to stretch a little.

As cfs says it doesn't look too bad a fit to me - a lot better than many I see.

With neoprene drysuits the material itself gives some insulation which is why they are considered 'warmer' than Trilams etc. but that doesn't mean you do not have to wear any undergarments with them because basically the insulation is provided by the gap between the suit and your body, the undergarments you fill that gap with, the air you inject to reduce squeeze/insulate yourself, with the additional insulation with a neoprene suit of the extra warmth from the lack of heat transmission through the material itself - which is what you don't get with a trilam.

Neoprene suits can be a closer fit than trilams and still work well, but you want enough room to move and wear extra layers if you need to. Squeeze is an odd feeling, and takes some time to get used to, the trick with adding air is to get to the point where you can offset the squeeze, but keep the air added to the suit to the minimum necessary so you don't have a large bubble to move around. This means doing a good weight check and not carrying any unnecessary weight. You will hear people tell you all sorts of things about how to manage the air, but what works best for me is to add just enough air to the drysuit to offset squeeze as I descend, then do any additional buoyancy control through my wing. I set the auto valve to dump air if I ascend and then dive on the wing.

This way I never have enough air in the DS to cause a large air bubble to move around and I never have the problem of floaty feet, I find I can invert (head down/feet up) without difficulty and without a bubble. When I change depth I do so with the exhaust valve uppermost and the auto dump takes care of the DS whilst I control the air in the wing manually.

With regards to neck and wrist seals - they need to be close fitting, but not so tight they cut off your circulation. Also as cfs says you can stretch them, but beware - if you do you cannot reverse the process and if you do it too far you will have to get new seals fitted to sort out the problem. So before I would stretch or trim I would try it out in anger and if the neck seal was not causing you to feel light headed or hard to breathe I would wait a while and let it stretch to your shape itself.

It looks like a nice suit to me - stick with it, and dive safe - best - Phil.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael and Phil for your replies.

I test dove the suit and confirmed my feelings that the slightly large fit was a problem. I wore the thickest undergarment I would be diving with, a medium overall fleece with fleece socks... the torso was ok, but the squeeze in the legs were a bit much to feel comfortable. I suppose in time it will go away, but the deal breaker was the boot, at size UK 9, US 10, is one size too large. I had to wear XL fins just to fit the boot in, normally I wear medium fins. As I kick the fins felt like they were going to come off, the straps were on tight and proper, but there were just too much space in the boot so the whole foot/fins just fell very loose and I couldn't get good propulsion. It's too bad, the suit is really well made and I quite like the warmth. Oh well :idk:

i just bought my drysuit on a flash sale it feels right on the arms and the torso . it is a xxl. however the boot is a little larger than what i like .. i’m a us size 11 this is a size 12. and there is a bit of roominess n the legs claves and right on top of my shoulders . i was wearing only swimming trunks . is this an ok fit for me? any help us appreciated

Attachments

• D1CFFDF4-E516-405F-95FF-078502364AF0.jpeg
    D1CFFDF4-E516-405F-95FF-078502364AF0.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 265
hi julius… i just ordered a drysuit undergarment . i guess i could try it on with a light fleece jacket and sweatpants

Just started diving dry (4 dives so far), went and bought on ebay a newish Northern Diver neoprene drysuit, size M-Large-T, which according to Northern Diver’s sizing chart is my size. The neck and wrists (also neoprene) are a bit tight, normal (?) The rest of the suit feels loose (see pic):
View attachment 184885
It feels like the size large trilam suits I've tried. I know the extra room is for undergarments, but I don’t plan on wearing wooly fleeces, just a thin wicking base layer in 50-60 degrees occassionally. Not going diving under ice or multi-hour decompression dives anytime soon. So, my concerns are: the squeeze from all the loose fitting material (it was very uncomfortable when I wore large trilams; and no squeeze when I was fitted properly at DUI Dog day). Air in the feet, which I’ve yet to conquer, but hope to with more practice. Shouldn’t neoprene drysuits fit a bit tighter than trilams? Aren't they supposed to be warmer too??

Thanks everyone - Baby drysuit diver :confused:

I purchased a used Northern Diver ds. I feel like it's probably a little long and maybe a hair small with thicker undergarments (or maybe I'm a hair too thick:))

At any rate, it took a few dives to get used to the bubble and the boots, but after a few dives I really like it. In the beginning I too had a hard time with boots / fins.

Just like any new gear put 10-15 dives on it and it'll get much better, at least do that before changing anything.

I added a p valve and dry gloves, but I like diving long cold water:) It's nice being able to dove with little undergarments in 60F.

Also, to get things "situated" at the surface I'll blow the suit up and stretch as far as I can, it helps a lot. I also add talcum powder here and there all over the inside before climbing in.

Proper size should be meassured in the boot size (it should not come loose) and you with your arm up trying to reach the tank valve. The rest is just room for the undergarments. Also get some ankle straps to avoid your feet coming out of the boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom