What spares to carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murky NZ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im pretty new to diving and would describe my dives as basic but i would like to plan for the worse case scenario and rely less on my buddy so i can look towards solo dives one day a long way down the track.

Id like to know what equipment (not training) you currently carry as a back up (either with a buddy or without).

Thanks all

....would like to plan for the worse case scenario and rely less on my buddy so i can look towards solo dives one day...

Redundant air supply.

An extra mask is unnecessary if you learn to correctly tether the one you wear.

Visa card.

Twintanks with isolator. Extra torch, extra mask (deco diving), extra computer/bottom timer, backup buoyancy device.

Last edited:
It mostly depends upon the type of diving you do.

As a vacation diver who night dives, I only carry redundant computers and lights.

Redundant breathing gas, spare mask, redundant buoyancy, saftey spool, spool and buoy, spare lights, spare cutting devices, metal mirror, backup plan & BT, compass.

Essential: redundant, independant air, 2 cutting tools (though I've never ever needed them except when doing Milfoil remediation), primary & secondary light, plus the standard - computer (has integrated compass), spg, etc.

Stuff I don't consider essential but that I always carry so my kit doesn't vary and I know exactly where everything is without thinking: reel, SMB, small lift bag, 2 mesh bags (for trash). I also have a Dive Alert on the BC inflater.

Pretty much it except for insulation & weight which are about the only things that vary. I used to carry a slate but found it cumbersome and I never used it. One thing I'm a stickler about is that I and I alone gear myself up. I have a list of steps that I do the same way in the same order every dive. If I miss something I call that dive because I wasn't focused. Sounds OCD but I dive mostly solo and ...

It mostly depends upon the type of diving you do.

As a vacation diver who night dives, I only carry redundant computers and lights.

Yes, depends. As most of my solo dives are 30' or less I carry nothing extra. I carry the knife on almost all dives anyway. Depending on the dive, I may carry some of the stuff some of the following posters mention, such as SMB, Dive Alert, etc. and I always have a compass. But I don't regard that stuff as "backup".

Last edited:
Most dives 80 to 110 ft and 20-40 miles offshore.

19ft^3 pony, 3 cutting tools (2 knives and scissors), spare mask, SMB, reel, 1 or 2 lights depending on dive, strobe light and a surface marker (30 ft orange streamer to increase visibility to aircraft) in case I am floating at sea. Air signaling device on BCD. 2 dive computers.

The reason I have 2 knives is that the most convenient place for me happens to be next to pony and I did loose one once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom