Buoyancy and the math required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello
I am having some issues with the following question
I have an object 5' square and 5' high. It is floating in saltwater with only 6" showing. What line strength would I need to lift the object out of the water.
Here is how I did the calculation.
5 x 5 x 4.5= 112.5 cubic feet.
112.5 x 64 = 7200 {cubic feet x the weight of one cubic foot salt water) = {the total lb of test line I would require}

Is this correct?

My second one is a little more difficult for me
If my BCD requires 1/3 cu. ft of air to maintain neutral buoyancy at 1 ATM how much will the my buoyancy increase at 10'
I have no clue where to start here.

Any help is appreciated

I may not understand your question properly but, would u not just need to know the weight of the object you are trying to lift?

And i for your second question if u were using .33333333 cubic feet of air to keep your bcd neutral at the surface, if my math is correct you would need .45 cubic feet of air at 10 feet.

1. the object weighs the displaced weight of 5x5x4.5 times 64

2. I a going to assume that you are talking 1 atm of water or 33 ft or 2 ata
(buoyancy an only increase as you go shallower). ( no amount of air will make you neutral on land)
going to 10 ft would be going from 2ata to 1.3 ata... I would say your buoyancy would increase 2/1.3 you have. So 2/1.3* or a 53% increase in positive buoyancy.

3. 1/3 cuft of air should be about 21# lift so you should get an additional 53% of 21# of lift.

Somehow I think there are flaws with this thought process. I may not understand your queastion also.

I may not understand your question properly but, would u not just need to know the weight of the object you are trying to lift?

And i for your second question if u were using .33333333 cubic feet of air to keep your bcd neutral at the surface, if my math is correct you would need .45 cubic feet of air at 10 feet.

Thanks for your response.
The object weight here is determined by its displacement I believe which is calculated by its size and the amount of buoyant force required. I entertain someone else helping us out here.
For #2 can you explain your math please

The second question is improperly stated.. Your buoyancy will change due to expansion fo the air in the BC, but if you are wearing a wetsuit or dry suit, then that would affect the buoyancy change as well. use the formula P1V1 = P2V2 for the BC...

P1 = presure at 33 ft which is 14.7 + 0.445*33
V1 = 0.33 ft^3

P2 = 14.7 + 10 * 0.445
V2 = expanded volume of BC.

Difference between v2 and v1 multiplied by 64 lbs/ft^3 is your answer.. I think anyway

The object weight here is determined by its displacement I believe which is calculated by its size and the amount of buoyant force required. I entertain someone else helping us out here.

You've got it right. Any object that is floating will be displacing its weight. Take any object that weighs 100 pounds, and as long as it's less dense than water it will be displacing 100 pounds of water once it's immersed and floating. If you know the weight you can calculate displacement. If you can measure displacement you can calculate weight.

For #2 can you explain your math please
It's just junior high algebra. We'll ignore any other factors and only deal with the BCD. Pressure and volume are inversely proportional - as pressure goes up, volume goes down, or vice versa. Since it's a direct relationship the change in one is proportional to the change in the other. Start with an easy example of 1 ATA (the surface, at sea level) and 1 CF of air.

The 1 ATA is P1, and the 1 CF is V1, so P1 * V1 = 1. If you double the pressure the volume will be squeezed twice as hard, so it will be compressed to half of its original volume. That makes P2 2 ATA and V2 .5 CF. 2 * .5 is also 1.

Similarly, if you compress it to 3 ATA the volume will be 1/3 of what it was, so 0.33333 CF. 3 * .33333 = 1

Now let's revisit junior high and solve for V2: P1*V1 = P2*V2 = 1 --> (2*V2) = 1 --> divide both sides by 2 to isolate V2:
(2*V2)/2 = V2 = 1/2 = 0.5.

So, for your original scenario P1 is 2 ATA (I'm assuming, since you say buoyancy increases at 10') and V1 is .33333 CF. P2 is 10' of sea water, but we need to use the same units throughout. Each 33' equals 1 ATM, so 10' of sea water is 10/33 of 1 ATM, or .303 ATM (that's rounded a bit). You also have to add the 1 ATM from sea level pressure, so P2 = 1.303 ATA.

That gives us P1*V1 = 2 * .33333 = .66666 . P2*V2 is also .66666, so 1.303 * V2 = .66666 and once again we solve for V2:
(1.303 * V2)/1.303 = V2 = .6666/1.303 = .512 CF when you've ascended to 10'.

The increase in buoyancy is .512 CF - .333CF, or 0.179 CF. 0.179 CF * 64 lbs/CF = 11.46 pounds (roughly) of additional buoyancy.

Here's an alternate method that is easier in some ways, but may be more challenging if you don't really understand the inverse relationship and working with fractions. If you're still not completely clear on the stuff above and this doesn't make sense off the bat maybe just continue with the one that seems better.

The 1 ATM of pressure at the surface is equivalent to the pressure from 33' of sea water, so we can use [feet of sea water] as our units for describing sea level pressure. That means the 1 ATM of pressure at the surface is 33 feet of sea water. Adding that to the actual depth of 33' means the pressure at that depth is 66 feet of sea water (33' from air and 33' of actual water). Make sense?

Ascending to 10' reduces the pressure to 43 feet of sea water (33' from the air + 10' from the actual water). That means the pressure compressing the air in the BC has decreased from 66 to 43 feet of sea water. Fractions are just ratios, so P2 at 10 is 43/66 of P1 at 33'. Since pressure and volume are inversely proportional, we can invert that fractional pressure to calculate V2 as 66/43 of V1, or 1.54 times as much. 1.54 * .3333 CF = .512 CF.

Hello
I am having some issues with the following question
I have an object 5' square and 5' high. It is floating in saltwater with only 6" showing. What line strength would I need to lift the object out of the water.
Here is how I did the calculation.
5 x 5 x 4.5= 112.5 cubic feet.
112.5 x 64 = 7200 {cubic feet x the weight of one cubic foot salt water) = {the total lb of test line I would require}

Is this correct?...

You have calculated the static weight correctly at 7200 Lbs. The strength of the line required would typically have at least a 4x greater breaking strength or 28,200 Lbs. Ten times if your object had people in it.

You cannot answer the second question accurately unless you know the altitude. To be perfectly accurate, you need to know the barometric pressure as well.

You cannot answer the second question accurately unless you know the altitude. To be perfectly accurate, you need to know the barometric pressure as well.

To be that precise you also need to know the actual weight of the water, assuming it is constant from the surface to depth. The world-wide “average” of sea water is closer to 64.1 Lbs/Ft³, which results in .445138 PSI/FSW (64.1 Lbs/144 Square inches).

In practice, I can’t think of any activity related to diving that can benefit from that level of precision — including calculating buoyancy for a the salvage of a submarine with a couple hundred thousand cubic feet of displacement.

Back
Top Bottom