Diving insurance, just for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a Canadian. I love that I show a card, and not have to foot an expensive hospital bill. That only applies at home.

Within the next few years, I know I am going to be doing some dive vacations that my Provincial coverage will not cover. I do not want to buy duplicate insurance. So, Does DAN or Dive Assure or any other insurance companies cover diving, and any non diving incidents?

My Medavie Blue Cross (NS) emergency coverage covers scuba accidents for 30 days out of the country (I specifically asked about scuba), then we pay for additional time in the U.S. Of course, I'm not diving in places that would need a helicopter ride to a chamber miles away. We have the Blue Cross anyway to cover medications in case anything serious arises. Two years ago my wife was in a Mississippi hospital for 5 hours--Blue Cross covered the $6K. Well, 6 months later it was all done after snail mail stuff being lost twice and fending off two collection agencies. I know this is not just diving insurance as you asked, but we were told that if you get cancer and need chemo and other long term costs the provincial plans may not cover it.

We generally get per trip insurance from RBC via our travel agent (squba holidays in london). It covers everything: travel & accident & medical all in a single policy. And yes it fully covers any emergency medical transportation and / or chamber rides.

Since we are travelling a little more these days, we are looking at a single umbrella yearly policy that will reduce our costs.

We have used the travel portion of the policy a couple of times to cover additional travel costs due to snow storm delays. First case was 1 day delay at the start and we needed a very expensive water taxi trip to catch up to a live aboard. Second time was 3 extra days stuck in the snow in Newark on the way home.

With any insurance you need to be aware of what it covers. Some cover travel issues. Some cover "diving accidents". Some cover medical treatment.

I have a year round travel insurance that will cover unlimited medical and evacuation costs for travels up to 3mnths in length. Including diving to 39m (Or the depth you are certed to) Have never had to use it, so don't know how it would be with fronting cost, but I drowned my compact camera and it even covered that... beacuse I had the reciept scanned, they managed to close the claim in 2 days. Had the money on my account on the 3rd...

I drowned my compact camera and it even covered that...
I know this is getting awfully local and probably not very relevant for the Canadian OP, but I just have to ask which company that was.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom