Buoyancy Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi SB,

I just crossed my 40th dive, and I only just discovered a potential solution to a problem with my buoyancy. I'm lighter in the top-half of my body than in the bottom, so I have difficulty streamlining with my head on an even plane with my legs.

During my dives this past weekend, my instructor put some ankle weights around the valve on my tank, which was great for evening me out

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, and what have you done to help?

My BCD doesn't have trim pockets at the top, only at the bottom, so I won't be able to redistribute weights.

Ankle weights around the neck of the tank is a pretty common solution to the weight distribution.

You can also buy individual weight pockets that attach to the cam band. Those might be also be a solution for you if the band is high enough up.

I'm lighter in the top-half of my body than in the bottom, so I have difficulty streamlining with my head on an even plane with my legs. During my dives this past weekend, my instructor put some ankle weights around the valve on my tank, which was great for evening me out Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, and what have you done to help? My BCD doesn't have trim pockets at the top, only at the bottom, so I won't be able to redistribute weights.
As Hawkwood mentioned, it is a fairly common practice to clip some ankle weights around the cylinder valve, although for some, that is not a permanent solution, rather part of the process of optimizing weight distribution.

What kind (brand / model) of BCD do you have? How much weight are you wearing? Are you using a wight belt, or does the BCD have integrated weight pockets. I wouldn't say that you won't be able to redistribute weights - you have, in fact already done that with the ankle weights. :) Some divers attach small weights to the shoulder straps of their BCD, either by threading them on the strap, or using tie wraps. Some use weight pockets threaded onto the cylinder cam band(s). There are a number of options.

Try a two or three pound weight attached to the upper portion of your tank. In the past, I have used a simple plastic buckle/velcro cam strap to attach an additional couple of pounds to help with trim. You will have to experiment a little with the positioning. If your legs are heavy, a couple of pounds placed in the right spot will make a lot of difference.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this, and what have you done to help?

My BCD doesn't have trim pockets at the top, only at the bottom, so I won't be able to redistribute weights.

It's a common problem and your instructor had the right idea, namely to move the weight up higher on your body.

There are various ways you can do this. Attaching a weight to the valve is one of them. You can also buy after market trim pockets that can be attached to the cam band holding your tank to your BCD. They will probably be high enough above your center of balance to have the same effect. Alternatively, you can attach a weight to a separate cam band (one not used to hold the tank to the BCD) which will allow you to position your trim weight anywhere along the length of the tank you want. Finally, moving some weight from the weightbelt into integrated pockets in the BCD will tilt the balance more toward the top of your body as well. This effect isn't as pronounced as using a trim weight attached to the tank but it could work if you need a minor adjustment.

I should also mention that trimming is a continuous process. As you gain experience, change bits of gear etc. etc. your trim will change too. So think of it as something you should spend time on and tweak every now and then than as something you get "dial in" and never think about again.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom