Weight belt idea - what am I missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had an idea for a different style of weight belt over the weekend. My first thought was that I was missing something, or it would have already been done.

After you're in the water for a bit, the belt gets wet and you have to tighten it. Not a big deal, but it could be easier. Would there be a way to have a ratcheting device AND a quick release buckle? That way you could just tighten the ratchet as the belt stretches instead of having to release the buckle, tighten, close the buckle, which can be a pain with #25+ on the belt. You would still have the quick release buckle for ditching.

Maybe try a "depth compensating" buckle first. The one below is by Trident.

DepthCompBuckle.jpeg

Any "improvement" that would make a weight belt too expensive should be avoided for the obvious reason (viz., a diver might resist ditching his/her weight belt when circumstances demand he should).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Any "improvement" that would make a weight belt too expensive should be avoided for the obvious reason (viz., a diver might resist ditching his/her weight belt when circumstances demand he should).

Mako, which manufactures rubber belts of the type noted in previous posts, offers a free replacement belt if a diver ditches one in a true emergency situation. I think that is outstanding. I am an owner of a Mako belt and love it. A rubber belt is the simplest solution to the problem the OP is referring to.

Good ideas. I think suspenders or harness would still be better (you have to ditch weights in BCD if you have suspenders). Nice thing about suspenders is you don't have to bust a gut tightening them.

Good ideas. I think suspenders or harness would still be better (you have to ditch weights in BCD if you have suspenders). Nice thing about suspenders is you don't have to bust a gut tightening them.

Seasoft makes a weigh harness that you can ditch the weights from. It's comfortable to wear too.

Seasoft makes a weigh harness that you can ditch the weights from. It's comfortable to wear too.

Yes. I should've gotten that way back when. Maybe when I can again be more free spending.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom