How to "pull" a dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taymag

Registered
Reaction score
Whether in 10' of water or 80' of water what is the scoop on the dive flag? I would assume you don't want it fully secure to you in case a boat prop gets it?

I hold the reel end in my hand. How else would you do it? If it were attached to you how would you reel the line in and out? I'm missing something.

I hold the reel end in my hand. How else would you do it? If it were attached to you how would you reel the line in and out? I'm missing something.

I guess this question is directed for the people that dive and hit bottom, then have 40 minutes on the bottom where no reeling/unreeling would be involved for that period of time...

In instances where I've done a drift dive yet stopped for an extended period I've secured the line around a rock or other object. So long as it isn't part of the reef or something's home, that is. Some sites such as wrecks (uss mohawk for example) you don't move much and would end up with an entanglement hazard due to swim through. In those cases I don't carry a flag and stay generally within range of the boat's flag. Legally the boat's flag gives covers you for 300' from the boat in FL. If you hire a DM, in my experience they carry the flag for you.

Also, many wrecks have mooring buoys. The dive boat(s) will attach to these rather than dropping anchor. You descend and ascend along the buoy line. You'll be well within range of a boat flying diver down by the time you're anywhere near the surface in case you swam further than 300' along the bottom. So long as you ascend on that buoy line, that is.

The first few times I carried the flag, it was a pita. By the third or fourth time it was no big deal. Hold the thing in your hand, don't wrap it around anything in case it does get snagged by a boat or something.

I'm not sure I've ever towed a flag in anything deeper than about 60'. Just by coincidence, I suppose. The dives where I needed to carry one just weren't all that deep.

I shore dive a lot and use a diy spool. It remains my hand, not secured to me.

I have recently found it comes in handy to shove too curious reefies away as well.

Sent from my iPhone from my momma's basement

It all depends on the type of reel that I have and what I'm doing.

If it's a reel like this
ysare2e2.jpg
I hold it in my hand or put my arm through it and hold it in the crook of my arm if I need both hands temporarily. If it's a reel like this:
anuvyny9.jpg
I hold it in my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always in the hand. Biggest challenge here in New England is keeping an eye out for lobster traps and lines.... Not only the surface buoy lines but traps are often connected in multi-trap strings. Sometimes the inter-trap lines are up off the bottom and In limited vis you can easily miss them.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always in my right hand, so that my left is free for my inflator and compass. Never tie it off to yourself. Not only can something on the surface catch it, you can tangle yourself much easier as well.

At BHB, I anchor mine. Other than that, get someone else to tow it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom