DG03 weirdnesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrimSleeper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So I bought two DG03s to use as bottom timers on deco dives.

Have these things happened to anyone else? Given that I'm in the middle of nowhere and it would be stupidly expensive/a lot of hassle to return the things I'm probably not going to pester Hollis over it, unless it's happening to loads of people.

One of them has decided that, despite the fact that I'm all of three feet above sea level as I sit here, it's at altitude setting 2 - sometimes even 3. This then gives me inaccurate readings at depth, which is mildly annoying as I then have to cross-check it with my other computer or bottom timer or do the maths to work out my actual depth.

More worryingly, I discovered last week, when using the other DG03 in computer mode on a deco dive, that there seems to be a serious bug in the programming. Approaching the end of my deco on a dive that V-Planner showed as using less than 50% of allowable CNS exposure, the computer decided I had exceeded pO2 limits and ordered me to the surface - despite the fact that it had, until that point, been showing 9 minutes of deco remaining. As soon as the pO2 warning went off, the deco immediately cleared.

I get that I was pushing the boundaries of what the computer was designed for (a 48metre dive with 52 minutes of decompression, calculated using VPM-B at +2), but it's a little scary that it just forgets a reasonable amount of deco time as soon as it - incorrectly - decides oxygen time has been exceeded.

Am I just unlucky, or is this a general issue?

I know your pain my dg03 as been back to the factory more than i had it .And yes it has the upgrade The last time they send me a hat big deal i still have a dive computer that i can not thrust!!!! as soon as i get in the water it says to long.Or it puts me in deco. So now it sets at home brass and glass for me.and my old computer. What a wasted of money.

So I bought two DG03s to use as bottom timers on deco dives.

Have these things happened to anyone else? Given that I'm in the middle of nowhere and it would be stupidly expensive/a lot of hassle to return the things I'm probably not going to pester Hollis over it, unless it's happening to loads of people.

One of them has decided that, despite the fact that I'm all of three feet above sea level as I sit here, it's at altitude setting 2 - sometimes even 3. This then gives me inaccurate readings at depth, which is mildly annoying as I then have to cross-check it with my other computer or bottom timer or do the maths to work out my actual depth.

More worryingly, I discovered last week, when using the other DG03 in computer mode on a deco dive, that there seems to be a serious bug in the programming. Approaching the end of my deco on a dive that V-Planner showed as using less than 50% of allowable CNS exposure, the computer decided I had exceeded pO2 limits and ordered me to the surface - despite the fact that it had, until that point, been showing 9 minutes of deco remaining. As soon as the pO2 warning went off, the deco immediately cleared.

I get that I was pushing the boundaries of what the computer was designed for (a 48metre dive with 52 minutes of decompression, calculated using VPM-B at +2), but it's a little scary that it just forgets a reasonable amount of deco time as soon as it - incorrectly - decides oxygen time has been exceeded.

Am I just unlucky, or is this a general issue?

Hi Grimsleeper,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Please contact our customer service department at 888-383-DIVE. We would like to get you sorted asap.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2014 at 10:11 PM ----------

I know your pain my dg03 as been back to the factory more than i had it .And yes it has the upgrade The last time they send me a hat big deal i still have a dive computer that i can not thrust!!!! as soon as i get in the water it says to long.Or it puts me in deco. So now it sets at home brass and glass for me.and my old computer. What a wasted of money.

Hi Nofish, PM sent.

Hi Grimsleeper,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Please contact our customer service department at 888-383-DIVE. We would like to get you sorted asap.

Hi Nick,

I appreciate the prompt response.

In all honesty, given how cheap the units were, it's probably not really worth my while spending money on phone calls from the back of beyond to the US, and returning the computers is a definite non-starter: the postal system here is quite broken, a courier would cost virtually what the computers did, and I'd end up having to pay import duty and taxes to get them back into the country again, unless I go through the lengthy process of getting an export and re-import certificate… Welcome to the Fourth World!

I was mostly just curious to see if lots of people were having the same problems or if it's just another example of the Solomons' unique hostility for electrical equipment in general!

I also thank you for your responce .so i get my dg03 and it off to mexico set up jump in 3000 psi 15 minutes into dive 3000psi so much for that dive. sent back to hollis.They sent me new computer frist dive same thing that week got email about up grade. sent back now it as 1b up grade.Get on dive boat set up gear ride out to dive site jump in now it reads out too long???? went back thru settings all are good.contacted hollis and sent it back and they change the batteries at n/c. Now i donot trust this thing so i put it on my pony bottle and used computer as back up as normal set up gear get to the dive site jump in it reads out too long frist dive 75 feet 10 minutes in started beeping deco? so now it sits in its case at the house when i go diving. I feel like this biggest waste of money to date on a piece of dive gear as it has not work right on any dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom