A little help with tank ID...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leftyjeb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,

I just bought a couple of used tanks pretty cheap. I know they need hydro (and the seller said he'd refund me if they failed or were scrap).

I believe these to be '01 Luxfer AL 80s. From what I've read, these shouldn't be rejected at the door at my LDS, right? (Whether they fail hydro is a different story).

Can someone with some expertise verify? Many Thanks, ScubaBoard!

unnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-3.jpgunnamed-4.jpgunnamed-5.jpgunnamed-6.jpgunnamed.jpg

+1

2001 Luxfers are good to go after hydro and vip.

BTW, what do you consider "pretty cheap?" I got some of those exact same tanks for $50 each including DIN valves. And some of them were still in hydro.

You win. I got them for $60 each and they need Hydro.

My aluminum cylinders are scraped when it's time for their third hydro. ie 15 years old. Too much metallurgical stress the alloys. On the other hand I have steel cylinders with a born date of 1970. Steel if well cared for can last a lifetime. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a couple of cheap aluminum tanks and neither says who made them or how big they are. The original markings are below. Any idea who made them? I am guessing the "WK" is a reference to the manufacture but I do not know who that is.

CTC/DOT-3AL 3000-J 91421
WK 5A87

CTC/DOT-3AL 3000-J 80227
WK 4A87

I just picked up a couple of cheap aluminum tanks and neither says who made them or how big they are. The original markings are below. Any idea who made them? I am guessing the "WK" is a reference to the manufacture but I do not know who that is.

CTC/DOT-3AL 3000-J 91421
WK 5A87

CTC/DOT-3AL 3000-J 80227
WK 4A87

The WK refers to Walter Kidde who used to make cylinders and some of the finest compressors ever made.

The WK refers to Walter Kidde who used to make cylinders and some of the finest compressors ever made.

Thanks. Are there any issues with the alloy used to make these tanks like the early Luxfers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom