Need a secure clamp to connect my helmet diving knife to my Dive Rite harness D Ring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear Forum,
I'd like to get some kind of really secure connector to connect my dive knife to one of the D-rings on my harness. Probably one on the belt strap. Something that won't open up easily, as I don't want to lose this knife. I won't need to remove it underwater. I prefer things be made out of metal. Little spring loaded clips scare me, because I can imagine them opening up.
Any recommendations?

I have a basic Diveright backplate and wing. It has several unused D Rings on the straps.
harness.jpg
I also have a vintage style helmet dive knife. It has a belt loop style thing on the scabbard.
130804985442.jpg
Thanks

If you are not willing to lose a knife the best thing to do is not take it under water. Knives are usually worn on the waistbelt. Either a simple slide on sheath or I have just used a couple pieces of inner tube to hold the sheath horizontal. Maybe grommets inserted into holes you could punch in the webbing but never saw anyone do that. For shoulder straps again a simple.slide on very small knife or perhaps shears.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Little spring loaded clips scare me, because I can imagine them opening up.

There's probably no cure for this so a disposable knife is probably the next best thing.

There is only one connection point on the scabbard and it looks like it is too small to run weight belt webbing through. It could be modified to connect at both ends but then you are going to ruin what should be a collectors piece for display. Most divers do not carry knives that big unless they need them to work on something, again not a good use for a display piece. I would go with a cheap folding lock blade modified to clip to your harness.

IMG_1958.jpg

You could use a quick link.

Acc-QL-2.jpg

They screw down tight so unlikely to come off. Even use two thru that scabbard slot - they're small. Can even be tightened with a wrench if you always want it attached. Quick Links : Tech Diving Limited, The Leading Source for Diving Equipment The ones at TDL are stainless.

They also come in brass: http://www.amazon.com/Wichard-Maillon-Rapide-Brass-Quick/dp/B005UF438A - Manta apparently sells them also: http://www.mantaind.com/product_category/clips-and-rings/

I'd be way more worried about the knife coming out of the sheath. If the handle is solid brass - it's probably the heavier end. Possibly put a snorkel keeper on it. Although that defeats the purpose if you ever did need to use it.

I'd be worried about scuffing it also. Either on a boat or by the person next to you. Or on the reef if you accidentally got too close.

The knife actually screws into the sheath so it slipping out is not very likely.

[-]Where do you get something like that anyway? Slightly smaller and it would be a very cool letter opener...[/-]
Never mind...Google is my friend also. :wink:

Is yours French? Or a Drager(sp)?

I'm not sure if it is a Drager. It is just German prewar. But my mask is Drager. A Full Facemask Panorama Nova
[-]Is yours French? Or a Drager(sp)?

I think I will go with one of those Quicklinks suggested by Diversteve.
Thanks

Ditch that BP and get something more in keeping with the knife:

012-2.jpg
011-1.jpg
That knife originally would have had a leather thong to attach it to the belt. You could use sturdy cordage with some nice knotwork but no matter what you do, that combo is going to look weird (and the knife will probably get stolen when you aren't looking).

It looks like you have an old Desco type Navy Divers knife. Keep it ashore polish it up and place it on display. Those are really rare antiques now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom