DS-161 Battery Upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

I own some DS-161 strobes with the older NiMH battery packs, is there an "Upgrade option" I can use to change over to the newer Li-Ion battery packs and chargers?

The older upgrade option for DS-125's to 160 or 161 was great.

i have just upgraded my ds125 batteries to LiOn batteries so as they are the same as the 161 it should be a streight swap

When I was at the SCUBA Show in Long Beach, CA this past weekend. I stopped at the Ikelite booth, the rep showed me the new LION batteries and I compared the to the NiMH battery. The weight difference it almost half, with longer life and fast recycle time.

The rep said they are a hot swap-able with my current NiMH batteries for the DS160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can't "swap/upgrade" for a replacement, but the new batteries make a big difference for the Ike strobes.

They are much lighter, and make the strobes neutral in the water - one of the biggest user complaints was how heavy the DS160/161 is. Faster recycle, and longer life.

Not that you would also need a new charger, the old charger doesn't work with them.

Back
Top Bottom