IDC in Australia / Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanothon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a PADI DM but have pretty much been working as a videographer. I am currently in Koh Tao, Thailand but always thought it would be enjoyable to do my IDC around the great barrier reef and from what I understand, Cairns is the largest hub for that (i.e. more opportunity for work)

I know obviously cost of living is much more expensive than Thailand, but being somewhere more 1st world wouldn't be all bad. I have never been to Cairns and so any advice on dive centers, where to do the IDC, pay / cost of living, etc would all be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it would be cheap to live there but it's a lot cheaper than some places I stayed in Australia. I was in Cairns last year and there were a couple go guys doing the IDC staying in my hostel, think they were paying around 25 AUD per night. It would be a great place to do it because the Barrier Reef is great, though, from what I understand there's a lot of competition for Dive jobs up there.....

I'm a PADI DM but have pretty much been working as a videographer. I am currently in Koh Tao, Thailand but always thought it would be enjoyable to do my IDC around the great barrier reef and from what I understand, Cairns is the largest hub for that (i.e. more opportunity for work)

I know obviously cost of living is much more expensive than Thailand, but being somewhere more 1st world wouldn't be all bad. I have never been to Cairns and so any advice on dive centers, where to do the IDC, pay / cost of living, etc would all be greatly appreciated.

Hi Seanothon :)

Your post sounds like you’d like a new experience, an adventure in a different location? I was wondering, if you’ve ever been to Borneo, a neighbour of Thailand? Your travelling here would be quick and easy!

Congratulations on your decision to take the next step in progressing your dive career and it’s a natural path for PADI Divemasters to continue onto the PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC).
Maybe Borneo and our professional internship program has what you’re looking for!

I am a full time PADI IDC Staff Instructor and a member of the Go PRO team of PADI Instructor Trainers at Downbelow Marine & Wildlife Adventures’ premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre on Gaya Island.

Get To Know Our GoPro Staff Team | IDC Asia

Professional dive internships are an attractive and fully inclusive program to give you every chance in achieving your success in your future career.
The IDC can be completed within 16 days, but under an internship program, a 1-month schedule offers invaluable opportunity to increase experience of real dive experiences with real clients. During our group intake, we’ll assign our professional interns assistant roles to observe the instructional duties of our experienced team of PADI Instructors. Observation is a great way to learn and internship candidates adjust their own teaching methodology.

PADI IDC | IDC Asia

During a 1-month internship, candidates are provided transportation logistics between their private en-suite accommodation in KK City Centre and our Gaya Island beach house. Lunch and refreshments at the Dive Centre too, and most attractive to our interns, is the UNLIMITED diving within the protected Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, where there are 49 dive sites.

Ask us for a quote, and we will tailor you a schedule to suit your time availability, budget and professional needs. Just contact one of our Head Office staff based in KK Times Square to request for more details on our internship programs.

In the meantime, you might like to add us on Facebook and Twitter to see what we get up to everyday and give you a better idea of us!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

https://twitter.com/divedownbelow

Have yourself an amazing adventure Seanothon, wherever you do your IDC!

Back
Top Bottom