Help with mosquitoes!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JenFid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A question for you divers who live anywhere where mosquitoes are a constant companion on your dives.

I am one of those people whose mosquito bites swell up big time (think quarter sized or larger depending on where I get bit). My husband and I are newly certified divers and we live in MN. We did a quarry dive yesterday and I was just getting mauled while putting my gear together. Normally I drench myself in the 99% deet spray since that's the only thing that will keep them off me...but I know that stuff is terrible for neoprene.

Does anyone know of a powerful mosquito repellant that won't harm our wetsuits? Homemade or store bought? Or am I basically relegated to getting my gear together ASAP so that I can escape to the 7mm safety of my wetsuit?

Any tips would be appreciated...I'll try anything, lol! I love diving and will suffer through the mosquitoes but any relief, no matter how small, would help a lot!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

This year, I think due to the late thaw, is the worst I can remember for mosquitoes up here ever. It doesn't help that anything in northern MN was always especially bad to start with probably because they always have shorter later summers.

The best you can usually hope for is to stay a certain distance away from the trees since they swarm out from the underbrush. Usually mosquitos won't cross more than about 10 feet of sunlight. I recall the last time I was in the Crosbyish area the only bad places were down certain shaded side trails, especially where the little bathroom thing was, and that wasn't a super bad year like this.
I would suggest buying a big screen sided dining thing to sit under when not in the water and a smaller sleeping size netting set for the bathroom area if they don't have enclosed porta potties where you are.
It would also be good to get the fogger type cans and do some serious crop dusting of the bushes at times.

Also I found this thread which is old but list several "new" products by name Review of Insect Repellents [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

Garlic, lots of garlic. It also keeps vapires at bay. I have no cure for lawyers, even thought they are also "blood sucking pests"

Since I'm guessing you're most concerned about the shore where you are setting up, what about spraying one of the outdoor foggers to keep them away. or some Citronella or bug repellent candles? I know that when I lived in Alaska, we used the Avon Skin-So-Soft lotion and it was the only thing that kept them at bay up there. (and they could drain a moose dry). :) I'd imagine that the Avon product would be less reactive with neoprene / silicon than traditional deet based bug juice.

Steve

Rum :D

1. Set your gear up at home, put your wetsuit on at the dive site while still in the car, then grab your gear and head for the water :)

2. Have your husband set up a screened in tent with a table it it before you get out of the car, and set up your gear in there.

3. Use all the bug spray you want, and it it wrecks your wetsuit, buy a new one :)

I live in MN too, and I choose a combination of 1 and 3. I arrive with my gear mostly set up and ready to go, but during surface intervals if the mosquitos start to bite I basically stop caring about my $3000 dry suit and start spraying the deet :)

wear lightweight long sleeve clothing treated with permethrin.

wear a mosquito net hat.

set up your gear prior to changing into your swimsuit/wetsuit. change in a bathroom or screen enclosure/tent/vechicle.

go diving.

reverse steps when done.

I just read an article that says diet is a factor in attracting or not attracting mosquitoes. Avoid salty foods, salt in general, and also avoid foods high in potassium. As mosquitoes and vampires are both blood suckers, it was not surprising that the author also suggested eating garlic ( or rubbing on your self) would discourage mosquitoes as well. The garlic might also discourage intimacy, but we all have to make choices.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom