Spare air legal problems ? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corlett

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Guys & Girls

I am new here and this is my first post, I will start it off by asking any member if they know if `` spare air ´´ emergency breather are illegal in any other country.

Here in Portugal they have made them illegal :shocked2: crazy law, and they justify it I believe on the fact that: due to the nature of a small breathing device being easy to conceal they `` MAY ´´ be used by spear fishers / snorkelers whilst hunting.....:shakehead:

I apreciate the fact that no doubt there are some people all over the world whom know not the meaning of code of conduct / ethics but I see no reason to penalize us honest divers, after all an emergency breather is a life saving device.

Does anybody know of similiar laws in other countries ? ?

Why is this in the technical diving forum? The Spare Air device is not really part of technical diving...it is too small for anything useful.

As to whether it is illegal anywhere or not, I've never heard of any place that does that. Your post is the first.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to more appropriate forum.

Hi Guys & Girls

I am new here and this is my first post, I will start it off by asking any member if they know if `` spare air ´´ emergency breather are illegal in any other country.

Here in Portugal they have made them illegal :shocked2: crazy law, and they justify it I believe on the fact that: due to the nature of a small breathing device being easy to conceal they `` MAY ´´ be used by spear fishers / snorkelers whilst hunting.....:shakehead:

I apreciate the fact that no doubt there are some people all over the world whom know not the meaning of code of conduct / ethics but I see no reason to penalize us honest divers, after all an emergency breather is a life saving device.

Does anybody know of similiar laws in other countries ? ?

Interesting, do you know if larger pony bottles are allowed?

Wow. News to me.

From experience I can tell you I saw divers use Spare Air (on dives) in Roatan, Honduras and Cozumel, Mexico without issue.

First I've heard of it as well. Another example of another law some politicians felt necessary because some abuse what's already in place. I wonder what % of the country's population knows even what Spare Air is.

For what it was intended for - escape from a cockpit in the event the pilot and crew have to ditch or for a quick recovery of a drowning victim. Not as a back up for scuba diving activities.

what is the source of this? i tried to google for it and can't find anything

HI Guys & Girls

First of all let me apolagise for starting this thread in the wrong place :depressed:

As for source of information : The Policia Maritima / Maritime police, I know of this from my dive instructor and an actual police office / naval officer.
Also in Portugal metal detectors are illegal, and require a license that they never issue.
I am a volunteer in an Archaeological project in Portugal Algarve that involves the use of metal detectors and diving on wrecks for identification purposes etc etc

As for a Pony bottle I think there is nothing against it at all. It is curious though different laws in different countries

Thanks for all the replies,

Here are some links that may help, Sorry they are in Portuguese..:d

Página do IPDJ, I.P.

Law:
http://www.idesporto.pt/ficheiros/file/Mergulho_nova lei/Leis/Lei_24-2013.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom