Scallops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popcoon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, New to this. Hope I am posting correctly. I am in a diving club in Delaware. We are interested in doing a scallop dive any where on the east coast. Any recommendations? I have only been able to track down one shop with a google search. They are in Boston, and not real keen on taking us out during the heavy boating season. Anyone ever done anything with a shop or group that might not be on line? Thanks, Chris

Lots if wrecks are loaded with scallops. Depends on depth, temp, time of year, etc. they don't get listed as scallop dives. You just have to ask others where they have seen scallops this year and hope they're still around. And make sure you follow the state's harvesting rules if you're allowed to take any at all. If you're talking Delaware, ask a knowledgable captain like Ted Green.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Last edited:
I'll second kwinter's recommendation to ask the local boats what wrecks have them. As for Boston, I dive with those guys quite frequently and always get my limit on scallops. The issue that you touched on is that most scallop beds are located where there is heavy small boat traffic. This can cause an issue especially during summer weekends. They are much more flexible with scallop sites on weekdays or after Labor Day when the traffic dies down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just wait and do Boston after labor day. The water will still be warm(ish) and there are a ton of scallops

What is the limit in Boston? Might be worth a drive up.

What is the limit in Boston? Might be worth a drive up.

Gallon of shucked meat

Come on up, hit some wrecks and then go scalloping. I'm pretty sure you know a few of the locals here...

They are in Boston, and not real keen on taking us out during the heavy boating season.

Hey Chris-

I researched this recently as I really want to go scallop diving. I got the same feedback that you did - that boat traffic is making the most popular scallop diving pretty unsafe up here during the Summer months. I know there's another charter out of Cape Ann that will take you, but a rep from the LDS told me to avoid them (and wait until the traffic calms down near the beds). Apparently, the captain of the charter that will go (out of Rockport, I think) is not a diver. He just brings you out there and lets you dive. Yikes.

I'm in no place to tell you what to do, but I figured I'd pass along what I've heard of late. I'm waiting until the experienced pros tell me it's not a bad idea.

Good luck!

Scallop diving is winter and spring diving in New England. As long as you can shuck them, you can limit out with somewhere between 6-12 lbs. My favorite scallop charter is with Boston Scuba though I have used Cape Ann Divers in the past and been happy with them as well. If you put a full boat together, it is likely that either group can arrange a mid week charter for ya. Attached is a picture from April 6, 2014 in East Boston while we were schucking away!

ScallopDive040614.jpg

O..M..G!! Ok, in Maine, only scallop diving in the middle of winter. What on earth sense does that make? So, I am very interested in this. If anyone needs and extra couple of bodies to fill a boat for a wreck/scallop dive, I am TOTALLY DOWN! We're in Portland, so it's only 90 minutes to scoot on down. Can someone local down there arrange this? :)

Bill

Hey Chris-

I researched this recently as I really want to go scallop diving. I got the same feedback that you did - that boat traffic is making the most popular scallop diving pretty unsafe up here during the Summer months. I know there's another charter out of Cape Ann that will take you, but a rep from the LDS told me to avoid them (and wait until the traffic calms down near the beds). Apparently, the captain of the charter that will go (out of Rockport, I think) is not a diver. He just brings you out there and lets you dive. Yikes.

I'm in no place to tell you what to do, but I figured I'd pass along what I've heard of late. I'm waiting until the experienced pros tell me it's not a bad idea.

Good luck!

I frequently dive on with both charters (Boston Scuba and Cape Ann Charters) so figured I'd clear up a few things.

There is another charter running regular scallop charters on Cape Ann. The charter is Cape Ann Charters and the boat is the Daybreaker. It is a family run boat and all three captains are divers. Two of them are active instructors (all the way up to CCR Trimix). They are also the only charter that will shuck your scallops for you.

As for just bringing you out to the site and letting you dive, this is how all charters in the area operate. There is no charter in the area that doesn't just operate as a taxi service. They will bring you out to the site, give you a site briefing and then you are responsible for planning your dive and getting back to the boat if it's a moored/anchored site.

O..M..G!! Ok, in Maine, only scallop diving in the middle of winter. What on earth sense does that make? So, I am very interested in this. If anyone needs and extra couple of bodies to fill a boat for a wreck/scallop dive, I am TOTALLY DOWN! We're in Portland, so it's only 90 minutes to scoot on down. Can someone local down there arrange this? :)

Bill

Check out bostonscuba.com or divedaybreaker.com as both charters list their schedules online.

Back
Top Bottom