Weight check w/o tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbl212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got a new set of equipment and want to do a weight check in a pool but I don't have a tank and I don't want to rent one just to do the weight check.
If I were to do a check without a tank how much weight should I add? (when diving I'll be using a Al80)

Put your gear and exposure suit in a laundry bag and add weights until it sinks. Add weight for the pos buoyancy of the tank and do a fresh to salt conversion if necc. That'll get you in the ball park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a new set of equipment and want to do a weight check in a pool but I don't have a tank and I don't want to rent one just to do the weight check.
If I were to do a check without a tank how much weight should I add? (when diving I'll be using a Al80)

Just do a weight check next time you rent a tank. Pick the tank up the day before, get squared away then dive it the next day.

Put your gear and exposure suit in a laundry bag and add weights until it sinks. Add weight for the pos buoyancy of the tank and do a fresh to salt conversion if necc. That'll get you in the ball park.

What about your body's buoyancy or lack thereof, and the initial weight of the tank (probably negative buoyant initially)? Seems to me that you would need you and all of your gear, including tank to do a valid weight check. The last time I did a weight check with new gear, my LDS loaned me a tank that had 500psi in it from a rental that came back after the weekend. I'll bet you could talk you LDS into loaning you an almost empty tank rather than rent a full one if you are just doing a weight check, and you can do it at a time that would not interfere with their peak rental days.

When I wanted to do a weight check for my tropical travel gear, I just asked my LDS to set aside an AL80 after their next OW pool session and not fill it yet.

They did that and I was able to use the 1000 psi tank to fiddle with weighting and trim and other adjustments.

Because my using the already-used tank didn't cause them to have to run the compressor, there was no charge to me for using it.

If you do it without tank at the pool, just make sure it is safe. Better in shallow area, or if deep pool, make sure you have something to breath if needed. I saw this a few times. When weight checker gets enough weight and start sinking, then he/she realized they have nothing to breath on.

If you do a pool check, add 2.5% of your total weight (body + gear, 6-8lbs) for salt water plus the 4lbs for the empty AL. And make sure your reg dust cap is on nice and tight.

What about your body's buoyancy or lack thereof, and the initial weight of the tank (probably negative buoyant initially)? Seems to me that you would need you and all of your gear, including tank to do a valid weight check. The last time I did a weight check with new gear, my LDS loaned me a tank that had 500psi in it from a rental that came back after the weekend. I'll bet you could talk you LDS into loaning you an almost empty tank rather than rent a full one if you are just doing a weight check, and you can do it at a time that would not interfere with their peak rental days.

Your body is mostly water so the average build has little effect on buoyancy. The weight of a full tank, more specifically, the gas it contains is compensated by inflating the BCD and as the gas is used the air in the BCD is eliminated. This is part of a balanced rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom