Set up for Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a bp and wing. Hollis LX38 and have both the AL and SS plate.
I will dive a 3mm full wet suit and standard aluminum tanks.
I have some weight pouches to add weight.
What would you do. Switch to the ss plate and less weight or leave on the AL plate and add weight.
Have not dove the new gear yet so don't have a clue about how much buoyancy.
I'm 5'11, 170lbs.
Thanks
RT

For traveling, I would pack the aluminum plate just to keep baggage weight down. Most dive places will provide all the weight you need.

Difference in weight between Al and S/S backplate is only about 2.5-3.0 lbs. I always dive 5mm full suit and hooded vest in Maui (and still freeze after a few days of diving, so also use Lavacore top under my wetsuit), so still need about 6-8 lbs over there with an Al80 and S/S backplate. In the Bahamas, we had Al63s, 3mm full suit, and didn't need any weight (also S/S backplate). For comparison, I'm roughly the same specs as you, but only dive with 4 lbs here (also So Cal) with a 7mm full suit, hooded vest and HP80 tank

Have a great time in Maui!

It's possible that with the ss plate you will not need to carry ANY lead at all, which is part of the beauty of this type of rig--all of the weight is right up there against your back, rather than around your waist where it can throw you out of trim. For traveling, if you are near your airline's limit and every pound counts, you will probably want to take the aluminum plate and use the weight pockets to add lead. If you are not near your airline's limit, then take the ss plate.

Getting ready for Maui myself (flying there mid July). Last time I used a 7mm but that was during Christmas season and was way too warm. It was also cooler during surface intervals. This time I am planning a 3mm spring suit with long sleeves. For 75+ water temp that should be just right. Afterall I typically dive in 50-60 degree water for most of the year. I will be using a S/S back plate to also try and eliminate any excess weight around my waist. Somehow the weight on your back works better than on your waist...

As a guy just starting out in both Scuba and BP/W I will chip in my $.02. I contactacted Tobin at DSS and basically ordered my kit directly off his recommendation. I then took my SS BP, 20# wing and basic harness to Bonaire. I ended up with two pounds additional weight in a pouch on one of my cam bands and had a ball. I separated my BP and wing for travel, wing in checked back and BP in carry on with my reg and DC. Very easy, very convenient and a joy to dive in. Love it!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom