Any happy sidemount users of Apeks Tek3 on this forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need more regulators, and I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Tek3 for diving with doubles, but then started to think about trying sidemount, and decided to investigate further. DST seems to be the way to go for sidemount diving, but I dislike how they get in the way of reaching the valves on doubles (and they seem bulky as well). Also, I have seen some isolated opinions that the turret isn't really optimal, for it allows hoses to spontaneously move out of the optimal position in either configuration. How is Tek3 working for you for sidemount, as well as an all-around backmount/sidemount regulator? How does your hose routing look like? ( Disclaimer: I'm not seeking to bypass the need for formal training, I just want to buy a regulator. )

I use XTX50s with the fifth port, which I think is the same as the DST - it's the reg Apeks sell in their sidemount set, anyway.

For me, they work perfectly with sidemount or backmount doubles - to be honest, I think they route better in backmount than the Tek 3 does, and if anything are less bulky. Certainly never had any trouble reaching valves because of them, or seen anyone else have trouble, and never noticed problems with the turret.

Doesn't actually answer your question, I know...

I agree with grim, for back mount, the dst's with the 5th port (same as their side mount kit) is great. Never tried side mount, so I can't help.

Thanks very much. The ultimate question is, of course, which regs to buy, and it's very helpful to know that you did not experience any difficulties at all there with DST in either configuration. I have to admit that I never dived with either DST or Tek3, so I really have no clue what I'm talking about... mostly worried about what I see in pictures like the one below (this borrowed from post #4 on this thread), with regulators sticking out a little more than I would wish for on each side. I like how my existing Aqualung Titan LX Supremes are light and compact, and they worked well for me so far on doubles, but I'm planning to demote them for use on the deco bottles. I'm assuming Tek3 would be similar in terms of size and layout (perhaps that's not the case).

IMG_1394.JPG

For the DSTs you simply could not use the 5th port in the backmount setup if you want to avoid a situation similar to the picture.
They are a bit bulky, but not that much more than the Tek3.
Never dove Tek3s either but saw and touched them a few times and I think they are very good sidemount firststages (a bit expensive though).
You need a longer inflator hose than with the DST 5th port and probably will need to use a slightly longer shorthose without the turret.
You also need a different one for single tank diving, more than 2 LP hoses will interfere with the HP hose - the 5th port on the DST is very useful there.

DST seems to be the way to go for sidemount diving, but I dislike how they get in the way of reaching the valves on doubles (and they seem bulky as well). Also, I have seen some isolated opinions that the turret isn't really optimal, for it allows hoses to spontaneously move out of the optimal position in either configuration.
I dive Tek3s (as well as FSRs and FSTs) with backmount doubles, but I have not tried them in a SM configuration, so I cannot directly answer part of your question in the post title. Frankly, because I prefer turrets for SM, I haven't had a reason to try that.

I suspect that, if you plan to dive both configurations, you may be better off with two sets of regs. Of course, you may be trying to avoid that exact situation, hence your post. :)
kr2y5:
...mostly worried about what I see in pictures like the one below (this borrowed from post #4 on this thread), with regulators sticking out a little more than I would wish for on each side.
Is the 'sticking out' concern related to reaching the valve handles, which you mentioned above? I don't perceive that as a problem with what I see in the picture, and I am really intrigued by the hose routing I see - the 5th port appears to add a lot.

I have used Zeagle 50Ds (turret regulator very similar to the DST) with my BM doubles - they were ~OK, I wasn't thrilled with the LP hose routing because they didn't have the 5th port, and there didn't seem to be a way of routing 2 LP hoses off the turret without creating a bit of a Rube Goldberg configuration. But, looking at this picture, I like what I see, and I think I may configure a couple of DSTs for BM and see if the 5th port improves the configuration. I don't really have a reason to move away from my Tek3s for BM, just curious.

I have a pair of TEK3 first stage. I use them on my Nomad. on the left I have a SPG with 6" hose (not myflex, but not rubber, the one in between), The BC hose ( I rigged the nomad to have the inflator at the bottom), and the reg (XTX50) is on a 22" hose with a 90deg elbow, inverted (the hose coming from the left) and bungeed.

on the right reg, I have the same SPG setup, the drysuit hose and the other reg with 90deg elbow and the 7ft long hose is wrap on the cylinder. There is no hose going behind the neck, only stages hose.

Thanks very much. A few more comments/questions below....

For the DSTs you simply could not use the 5th port in the backmount setup if you want to avoid a situation similar to the picture.

Hmmm, won't it end up more like in this HOG setup below (from this page), with first stages even closer to valve handles when they are not at much of an angle with respect to the manifold. I've also been considering getting HOG, but not loving this particular arrangement all that much.

dubs3.jpg

Is the 'sticking out' concern related to reaching the valve handles, which you mentioned above?

Right, and compared to the above picture, I was rather hoping for something closer to this setup below (from this page), but these look like DS4s, so not much better with respect to sidemount, I'd think. I like there is enough space around the valves here to hold either one with my entire fist in thick gloves, and with palm facing either up or down, since the body of the first stage hardly sticks out outside the neck of the tank, and it doesn't overlap with the valve handle.

regs_above_large.jpg

Or with this setup, with Tek3 (from this page), with first stages again roughly in-between the lines determined by the outside contour of the tank necks.

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 8.36.25 PM.jpg

Never dove Tek3s either but saw and touched them a few times and I think they are very good sidemount firststages (a bit expensive though).

Would you happen to remember who dives this way, so that I could try to hunt for pictures with an example?

I have a pair of TEK3 first stage. I use them on my Nomad. on the left I have a SPG with 6" hose (not myflex, but not rubber, the one in between), The BC hose ( I rigged the nomad to have the inflator at the bottom), and the reg (XTX50) is on a 22" hose with a 90deg elbow, inverted (the hose coming from the left) and bungeed. On the right reg, I have the same SPG setup, the drysuit hose and the other reg with 90deg elbow and the 7ft long hose is wrap on the cylinder. There is no hose going behind the neck, only stages hose.

Would you be so kind to please post a picture of your setup? I'm trying to visualize what you have described, but a picture is worth a thousand words :). I'm very curious about your setup, and given that I couldn't find a good example online anywhere, it could benefit others as well...

Would you happen to remember who dives this way, so that I could try to hunt for pictures with an example?
I do not know anyone using them sidemount whom I have regular contact with.

Here are two pics I found:
http://deeptecthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DSC_03491.jpg
http://deeptecthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DSC_03511.jpg
(no inflators)

I do not see the problem there.
Each Tek3 has 3 LP ports on one side, the HP port is blocking one of those for practical use and there are no ports on the other side to use it on the other tank.
But what you need are first stages with 2 LP and one HP port on the same side (check), and on the second one this must be 'upside-down' compared to the first one (check).
You will just need different hoses for backmount and sidemount and have to exchange those when needed.

If they work for you backmounted, sidemount they will not be a problem, you will not be able to use the extremely short inflator hoses used on DSTs though.
I would also recommend using a longer regulator hose on both sides, no shorthose at all, since the hoses have to run parallel to the tank a few centimeters anyway and it is better to have an manageably long loop there instead of a hose with a perpetually strained fitting stuck under your axle.

I use the Tek3 with my back-mounted D7. With the Tek3 you have two different 1st stages, one for the right side and one for the left side. I have tried several different routing options, even swapping left and right 1st. stages as advised by some. None of the routing options is as nice as what you get with the Scubapro/Halcyon regs or the 5 ports DST. I settled for the option shown in the 2nd picture (posted by kr2y5) since I have a little more room for my head. I also bought a shorter inflation hose (51cm) to reduce the bending the hose. I have no experience with sidemount, so I won't comment on that.

Back
Top Bottom