First kit suggestions/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wazzy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
new to Scuba Board and glad to be here!

I've been diving for about two years or around 25 dives(mostly vacation diving) and figured I might invest in my first kit. I was hoping for some advice on what I might purchase, but to be honest I'm rather lost on what to buy at all so don't be afraid to tell me of my bad decisions!

I live by Lake Tahoe so I'll need cold water suitable gear.

1. BC - BP/W, from what I hear, is best all around. I'm hoping for something that will last me through whatever I want to do with scuba. How about this? https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/transpac.shtml haha

2. Reg - any suggestions? There seems to be so many! Atomics seem rather pricey, but it sounds like they are really good. Same for Apeks. I'm not afraid to spend a bit more if it will last me a lot longer!

3. Computer - How's the Sheartater Petrel sound? I know this is a tech computer, but I also know it can handle rec stuff without a problem. I'm hoping to get into tech diving, but it will be another several years...So is it worth getting now? or should I buy something a lot cheaper, and get something like the petrel when the time comes?

So if I do get into tech diving, will I just want a completely different setup?

Sorry for any stupid questions.
Thanks!

Align yourself with some tech-minded divers, pick their brains, borrow some gear... but don't get dead-set on any setup... try them all. Some of the most experienced divers I've been with had the most cobbled together battle-worn setups... but they knew what they liked and what worked for them.

I could not possibly believe all the (million) posters here claiming that a bare steel plate on your back is comfortable, until I tried... I quickly got rid of all the padding except those protecting my shoulders. A steel plate feels good. Do not buy a comfort harness!

1. BC - BP/W, from what I hear, is best all around. I'm hoping for something that will last me through whatever I want to do with scuba. How about this? https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/transpac.shtml haha

2. Reg - any suggestions? There seems to be so many! Atomics seem rather pricey, but it sounds like they are really good. Same for Apeks. I'm not afraid to spend a bit more if it will last me a lot longer!

3. Computer - How's the Sheartater Petrel sound? I know this is a tech computer, but I also know it can handle rec stuff without a problem. I'm hoping to get into tech diving, but it will be another several years...So is it worth getting now? or should I buy something a lot cheaper, and get something like the petrel when the time comes?

So if I do get into tech diving, will I just want a completely different setup?

Sorry for any stupid questions.
Thanks!

In my opinion you are looking at the right kinds of gear. For BP/W I would get just a steel backplate, a wing with sufficient lift (30lbs or so for single tank, 40+ for doubles, you'll likely end up owning several wings--I own three at the moment--but they all fit the same backplate), and a single piece of webbing. DGX has instructions on how to web your own. DiveRightInScuba has some great BP/W setups for a good price, so I would check them out. They are also an outstanding dive shop, and there are no hassles with their great customer service.

For regs, I've dived Atomics, Apeks, Mares, and HOG. The Atomics and HOGs breathed identically for me, and the Apeks and Mares were a bit harder to breathe on. Some people bash HOG, but I love mine and would not buy a different reg. You can pick up a 1st and 2nd stage with cold water kit for $200 at DiveRightInScuba and several other retailers.

For computer, the Petrel is outstanding. It's what I dive, and now that they have the recreational mode it's a computer that will suit you regardless of the type of diving you do.

Those are my suggestions.

Mike

I have a BP&W also and love it although I am not a tech diver and probably never will be. No offense to tech divers but I just don't see myself going down that path. With that being said I still set up my gear tech style because it makes sense in how it works and it's functionality. I started with a simple harness and found that I had a hard time getting my arm out of it when doffing my BP&W. I wear a dry suit with dry glove rings and they to get in the way. I bought a harness similar to the one you posted and I love it. If I need go dump my rig in a hurry I I have a BP&W also and love it although I am not a tech diver and probably never will be. No offense to tech divers but I just don't see myself going down that path. With that being said I still setup my gear tech style because it makes sense in how it works and it's functionality. I started with a simple harness and found that I had a hard time getting my arm out of it. I wear a dry suit with dry glove rings and they seem to get in the way. I bought a harness similar to the one you posted and I love it. If I need to dump my rig in a hurry all I need to do is release a waist buckle and pinch two clips and it is on the ground. Simple harness or comfort harness is like the old saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Try them both and see which one you like better. In my case I am not looking for the "comfort" part so much as I want the quick release shoulder straps.

As for reg's. I started with an inexpensive reg set and ended up buying a better set with in two years. Get the best you can get right out of the gate, you won't regret it. I have dove ScubaPro Mk25/S600, ScubaPro Mk11/C300, and the Atomic B2 (IIRC). The only set I was not big on was the ScubaPro Mk11, compared to the others I felt it was harder to breath so I stayed with the ScubaPro Mk25/S600.

BP&W is a very good way to go and it allows you to have an interchangeable and scalable system. There are a few very good options depending on your needs and budget. Look at Dive Rite, HOG, Halcyon, Oxycheq, DSS... to name a few.

The usual suspects for regs - Atomic, Scubapro, Apeks, etc... are all excellent choices but if you're doing quite a bit of cold water diving then it might be a good idea to focus on a reg designed with this in mind. The above companies all have models for this purpose - preferably get something that is environmentally sealed.

Regarding a computer, the Petrel is excellent but it may be overkill for what you're doing now. More specifically, although it does have a Nitrox Recreational mode it is still essentially a tech computer. This means that it has a lot of options with respect to deco models, conservatism, and the use of multiple gases. These can be quite easily accessed and changed - possibly inadvertently - as you scroll through the various menu settings and dive setups. If you do plan on getting a Petrel be absolutely sure that you understand how to use it and read the manual very thoroughly. If you accidentally have a gas switched on or don't understand how the various settings affect your profile and deco schedule, you could get into trouble. Even in recreational mode where the options are a little more restricted it's still a very powerful and flexible tool so proceed with caution.

My advice is go for a more conventional recreational computer now and once you've gained a better understanding and perhaps even a few tech dives under your belt, then you can make a better informed decision on a tech computer and if you think you really need one.

Best of luck

1) A BP&W is a great bit of kit. It is sturdy, comfortable, trims out well in the water and can be altered to suit the diving you are doing. The BP will last forever, but if the harness is getting a bit worn, you just need to replace a bit of webbing. The type of wing can be changed according to your needs.

Personally I would avoid the fancy luxury harnesses; they are no more comfortable, more difficult to adapt and add unnecessary bulk. A simple one piece harness is fine, and surprisingly comfortable.

2) I like Apeks regs. Loads of people have them here in the UK. The DS4 first stages are suitable for cold water. As much as I like them, make sure you can get them serviced easily.

3) I don't see any harm in getting the Petrel, but make sure you get advice on how to set it up. Another option would be something like the Suunto Vyper Air; it allows gas switching on nitrox, so you could use it for accelerated deco. It also has a gauge mode so you can use it as a bottom timer to use with a dive plan.

The transpac XP is promoted as having a "true mountaineer backpack design" which is great if you intend to go backpacking with your scuba gear. Try a simple harness first and see if it works for you. It works for most people. When padding is added it takes extra weight to sink and the padding does not add any comfort once in the water since the weight of the gear is largely offset by its buoyancy.

I know nothing about the Petrel but would find out how it treats altitude dives since you will be diving in Lake Tahoe. The manual is likely available to download. Do read it before buying. Ideally you want a computer that adjusts to the ambient surface pressure.

For Lake Tahoe a drysuit is going to be wanted pretty soon even it is not your first purchase.

I have both the Petrel and Predator. They are likely inappropriate for your type of diving. Especially if you're not immediately moving into tech diving. While great computers, there will likely be a newer more capable, and cheaper model on the market by the time you move into decompression/gas switching diving.

Now, if you plan to to that sort of diving this year, that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom