PADI Seals or Bubblemaker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve175

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My most zealous future buddy is my 8yo son. He is dying to begin PADI training and, honestly, I feel is mature enough and ready. It also helps that I am now above 90 dives and will be able to focus nearly wholly on him when the time comes. His BD is coming up and he has asked to do some junior PADI training (will only be turning 9). Neither of my LDS have pool time nor expertise/interest. We are on the East Coast and fortunately in a position to travel really anywhere for the best course (although > 12h of air travel would cut into the 4-5 days of travel we are able to free up). Any leads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Opinion only! No 8 year old is mature enough for anything deeper than a swimming pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said!

Both PADI Bubblemaker and Seal Team courses are done in swimming pools. If you can find an operator that does those classes, they can work well. Whether the programs are offered or not is usually dictated by access to the pool. The shop with which I was formerly associated had a very active Seal Team program in its in-house pool when I left. My current shop rents time at a local recreation center, and the logistics of it all are too much for them. Bubblemaker is a one shot experience, and the student will essentially learn to make bubbles under water--not much else. Seal Team does a lot more over a long period of time. By the time a student is done with seal team, they will have no trouble going through the certification program when they are old enough.

Thanks, but all of this I already knew. (Nothing like someone else advising you as a parent.) Both PADI Bubblemaker and Seal Teams are pool only. Neither is offered in my area. It is not a problem that we incorporate it into a vacation. I just need to find a place worth flying to to do it (and maybe dive myself while he is in training).

Steve. Best to just wait till he is 10 then do the full Jr. Course. These next two years of cognitive growth are very important especially to boys. This from a NAUI instructor and Registered Nurse perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did post to a forum that gives advice and opinions. My 8 year old, unlike yours, will literally walk into traffic if he's looking at, thinking about, reading about (we had to create a rule about closing books to walk), or otherwise distracted by something. His poor impulse control is age-typical, so perhaps you have a prodigy on your hands, but most people read "9 year old" and just think heck no. You can imagine why they might think that; they don't know your kids. So don't worry about parenting advice, most people really mean well.

Here is an outfit I met at a dive expo once. Maybe you can email them and see what they recommend.
Family Dive Adventures - Give them a week they will remember forever.

I'm surprised there are no shops in your area that have the classes you need. Have you searched the sites of the major training organizations for options? Or called to ask if the shops know of others who will train him?

Hope you find what you're looking for.

My recommendation is to find a PADI Bubblemaker/Seal Team or SSI Rangers in your area as this is a pool only (6ft deep max) activity. Some shops will do these periodically so by the time your child reaches Jr. OW age, he has quite a few hours in the pool honing his skills and comfort level in the pool with scuba gear. If your local shops doesn't have a regular program, then you many have to contact a private instructor. Or better yet, get a group of about 4-6 of your child's friends to commit and I'm sure the shop will "$ee" the benefit of providing this activity. The biggest draw back shops have is rental gear in child sizes. It's a big investment without as much return as adult sized gear.

There are kids scuba summer camps not far from you which includes 8-15 yr olds, Scuba Camp | Atlantic Edge Dive Center
or http://www.learn2dive.net/educ_kids.asp

There are other options as well such as snuba: http://submergedonline.com/kids-corner.html

If you are willing to travel, we loved Anthony's Key Resort in Honduras and they have a kids camp which includes a dolphin adventure (that's was coold for adults too): http://www.anthonyskey.com/diving/diving-for-kids.htm

My 2 psi on the above given parental advise. I am not a parent, but I have been teaching scuba for 10 yrs and quite a few kids (several ScubaBoarders kids included). Most (not all as your child may be the exception) kids 8-10 don't have the attention span for more than some structured supervised underwater fun time. I have certified only a couple of 10 yrs olds and a few 11 year olds through out the years though I've had plenty more than that as students. Most were not really ready to complete a diving course. I prefer for the child to be at least 12 with a bit more maturity, they are starting to develop impulse controls.
One more important thing to consider, children's Eustachian tubes are not well developed until age 13 which leads to more equalization issues, ear aches, ear infections, etc. among these Jr. Divers. Kids have been ingrained to tough out mild sniffles/allergies, etc to not miss school and sometimes don't even mention it to their parents, then show up for class and can't clear their ears. All of the 10 & 11 y.o. I did eventually certify had ear issues at some point during their course.

Last edited:
To again clarify: PADI Bubblemaker and Seal are in a pool at less than 6ft max depth. Even reading a book, pretty sure he would live. No open water until at least 10 (might be able to stall until 12 with PADI Master Seal - also in pool). Both of my LDS either don't offer the courses or don't have pool time available. The closest is a daily 2h drive (both to and from) for the five days. I'd rather travel somewhere I can dive while he does his courses in a warm, sunny pool. Anyone done this with their 9yo, had them live, and recommend a site (really the latter has always been my question)?
Steve (MD)

---------- Post added June 15th, 2014 at 01:03 AM ----------

My recommendation is to find a PADI Bubblemaker/Seal Team or SSI Rangers in your area as this is a pool only (6ft deep max) activity. Some shops will do these periodically so by the time your child reaches Jr. OW age, he has quite a few hours in the pool honing his skills and comfort level in the pool with scuba gear. If your local shops doesn't have a regular program, then you many have to contact a private instructor. Or better yet, get a group of about 4-6 of your child's friends to commit and I'm sure the shop will "$ee" the benefit of providing this activity. The biggest draw back shops have is rental gear in child sizes. It's a big investment without as much return as adult sized gear.

There are kids scuba summer camps not far from you which includes 8-15 yr olds, Scuba Camp | Atlantic Edge Dive Center
http://www.learn2dive.net/educ_kids.asp

There are other options as well: http://submergedonline.com/kids-corner.html

Thanks! Despite spending a fair bit of time on-line, I somehow missed this site. Will scope it out.

Back
Top Bottom