Scuba equipment and allergies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has recently come to the conclusion that the scuba equipment is triggering some of her allergies. I am very thorough with rinsing and drying, and use HangAir to prevent the drysuit from rotting for too long, but apparently that is not sufficient (or at least that is the working theory right now). I was wondering about some sort of a disinfecting agent, or a UV light to exterminate anything organic, at least on the fabric, but I am not sure that would really help, and it might possibly hurt the equipment. I keep all my junk in the house... short of moving it out into the garage, does anyone have ideas how to clean the equipment better?

Unless it is getting mildew on it, or she is alergic to latex/rubber I don't see what the problem can be. I think a UV light would probably damage the rubbers/cause premature aging/failure.

Make sure you're flushing the second stages of your reg well, also the inside of the bcd's bladder.

I wash my ocean gear in "Slosh" which smells pretty good. I dive at a local aquarium, and that gear gets washed in an amine solution. I'm sure the amine is really hard on the equipment but it ensures sanitation. If you use something strong like Amine, make sure you flush your gear with fresh water very well afterward.

A dehumidifier in your gear closet might also help a lot with drying and therefore help to prevent mildew. I hang my gear on strong hangers and place the dehumidifier under the gear while the stuff dries.

One final thought, have her try a saline sinus rinse after a day's diving.

Thanks!

In either case, I can't recommend Silicon wrist and neck seals strongly enough. Much more comfortable and field replaceable. They are also hypoallergenic and rot resistant.

Yup, mine are silicone already, and I use simple pull-over rubber dry gloves instead of neoprene... one thing less to rot when wet.

How do the allergy reactions manifest themselves? Skin? Sinus problems? Has she been tested?

Jim

How do the allergy reactions manifest themselves? Skin? Sinus problems? Has she been tested? Jim

Stuffy sinuses and dry cough, she did get tested and is using a prescription medication for allergy.

I realize that you meant this as a joke, but just imagine how my wife, your wife, or any married woman for that matter, would feel if she read this... while it might seem innocent to you, it can actually be quite insulting... may I be able to convince you to remove it?

Stuffy sinuses and dry cough, she did get tested and is using a prescription medication for allergy.

Is she allergic to anything? After two sinus surgeries and negative testing for any allergies, my diagnosis was non-allergic rhinitis. In other words, I'm not allergic to anything but have allergic reactions to lots of things. That said, it's important to ascertain exactly what thing is setting it off. In my case it's anything with a strong odor. In my house, NOTHING is perfumed. Detergent, soap, etc. My wife can not wear perfume.

Aside from that I personally use a sinus flush twice a day. Morning and evening. That along with steroid nasal sprays have done the trick for me. Obviously everyone's problems differ but it might be worth a try. My allergist told me that if all of his patients flushed their sinuses like I do, he wouldn't have much business.

Anyway, good luck with your quest.

Jim

I too was wondering what else she may be allergic to. From childhood up into my 30s I was allergic to basically everything (even my own spit). But only for 2 months each summer. The basic culprit was ragweed and then other pollens that came. The only thing that helped me was PREDNISONE pills, it was that bad (the shots did little). Then it all disappeared after maybe age 35--to the point where I'm basically unaffected by any smell. But back then, any smell at all (forget perfume!) would mean misery. Scuba gear usually isn't that strong smelling, but as pointed out, everyone is different. Would keeping it all in the garage be too damp or not a good place for other reasons?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom