Advice for skinsuit sizing for overweight female

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As much as I hate to talk about it, my weight issues are in overdrive right now, and I am at a loss as to how to deal with items that come in "men's" sizes (and proportionally sized at that).

I noticed a few posts that were started by women who are not of the "typical" body configurations and thought I might be able to get some advice. I need to invest in skinsuits/wetsuit skins for use during some coastal field studies classes and I am not sure what to think about the fit. The sizing chart doesn't include hip size as a category, and the sizes lengthen proportionally to the additional width. How much can I (or should I) expect the spandex to stretch horizontally if it isn't being pulled vertically? ...basically, if it fits around my a**, am I stuck with it being too big everywhere else?

You can go with HyperStretch or go with custom made. I'm not really over weight (bit of a beer gut) but fairly short with wide shoulders and big neck. so, off the rack doesn't work for me.
My thinking is you can't go wrong with custom made.

I know your problem. I have been fighting with the same issue for my other half adn had to resort to mens suits. The suit i found for her was amens size XXX (SHORT). for her that was a mens meduim short. I suspect that you can fnd the same. you will have to look at the manufacrurers. Perhaps bare or CRESSI. I go the cressi med short for her. If you want send me your measurements in PM and i will try to help find one for you. IE 40 40 40 5"4"

I found a super stretchy Bare 5 mil on closeout through Amazon. I don't remember or care what the size chart said, I just followed it and ordered away.

You mention wetsuits, but also used the word spandex. If you don't actually need neoprene, you can wear whatever you like as long as it doesn't end up stretching & annoying you when wet. On my last trip I wore a swimsuit with a pair of capri workout pants from Costco on the bottom. Comfy, cheap, easy to replace. If there had been jellies or a sunburn, I might have added my rash guard over the top.

so to be clear, are you just needing light protection like lycra, or a .5-1mm neoprene skin, or something heavier that provides more thermal protection? Plain lycra is quite stretchy, and I've seen an occasional large woman in one. Any sort of neoprene not so much, especially as it gets thicker.

Unused length may help a little with width but only so much, but extra length on arms or legs may not be a big deal and you could even shorten those pretty easily. If no one locally has something you can try on first, maybe just bite the bullet and make your best guess at ordering something and see how it works out. A place like wetwear or maybe divegoddess could be helpful if you gave them measurements. You could also see if something with with separate pants and top that would work out better.

Akona suits are often available in larger sizes, both mens' and womens'. Be sure to check the manufacturer's size charts. Wetsuit manufacturers are notorious for sizing that is smaller than clothing industry "standards".

If you are looking for lighter protection, there are swim pants and separate swim shirts available on some websites like coolibar.com. If you need a little more protection, neosport makes xspan layering pieces. I have a 1.5 mm pant that I wear sometimes for a little more protection. Last winter in Cozumel I wore them with a swim pant underneath, a rash guard and vest after the overly buoyant new 5 mm full suit ticked me off. It worked.

Good luck!

myown little world, buying off the rack or online without trying a garment on is pointless. There will be no size equation chart. My suggestion is that you find a local shop or dealer in wet suits who has good inventory, calling around first and describing generally what you need. It may be you need to measured and have a custom suit made, but probably not. Not just the size listed, but the manufacturer, and the thickness of the suit impact on fit. Call around, try suits on until you find one that is comfortable and affords the exposure protection you need.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom