flight restrictions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeangadbois

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im planing on flying from toronto to vancover (and back) with air can anything i should be aware of pertaning to packing scuba equipment.
Thanks

other then taking a tank, internal flights are not a big deal
i'm not sure what the carry on allowance is within Canada but you might be able to fit a lot in your carryons, we always take the regulators that way

Im planing on flying from toronto to vancover (and back) with air can anything i should be aware of pertaning to packing scuba equipment.
Thanks
just the normal flight safety stuff (nothing really special about scuba gear):
- they do not like you to have access to sharp pointy things (unless you are sitting up front near the pilot, in which case they will give you a nice sharp metal knife with every meal. go figure...)
- they do not like to have things that may exploded on the plane

So this means that
a) you should not try to carryon any cutting device like a knife or shears - pack them in your checked luggage
b) if you are dragging cylinders along, you will need to remove the valves

Scuba gear is just luggage. kind of like shoes, shirts and underwear. there are no special deals or costs involved because it is scuba gear. put it in a bag, check it.

I will assume 2 things:
1) you are not flying tanks out.
2) you are checking your gear.

I have flown back and forth a few times with gear. I did the same thing and no problems; I wrapped the regs in a towel and then in my jacket style BCD. My BCD then gets wrapped in my wetsuit. I also wrap my mask in a towel. Fins go on the bottom of the bag. I have not flown with weights.

Weight!

Scuba gear will very easily push you over 50lbs. Invest in a digital baggage scale because the over-weight charges on the airlines are insane.
Worse, if your gear is still damp on the return flight home, it will weigh a couple of pounds more on the return trip.
Its so much easier to juggle things around before you hit the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom