San Juan Islands diving -- better than Seattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Is diving the San Juan islands much better than diving around Seattle?

My wife and I will be traveling to the Seattle area in early July, and we plan to include a day or two of diving. We could go to the San Juans on our way back from visiting a good friend in Victoria, but it would be additional cost and hassle. Is the diving there much better than what we would experience around Seattle (not that I've figured out where we would dive near Seattle, yet).

We are novice divers. Our limits are 10 ft viz, 50 - 70 ft depths, no current and easy entries.

Thanks!

Bill & Emily

There tends to be more rocky structure up in the San Juans, and the currents support a lot of very colorful life. It's almost all boat diving to get to the best places, though, and where you can go depends on the tides and the weather conditions.

I love diving in the San Juans, and would do so more often if we had more than one charter operator up there.

Thanks, Lynne. In our particular case - that would be a "no" for the San Juan Islands. Your comments helped us make that decision.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom