Decoding Roatan weather report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi -- headed to Roatan next week with the family. If the weather report says it will rain every day (scattered showers) is that just the tropical one hour of hard rain and otherwise sunny? Is there anything to fear regarding dive conditions or fun surface activities for non-diving kids and spouse?

Thanks in advance, Roatan experts.

Unless it's the rainy season, tropical weather reports from anywhere in the tropics typically will always say showers every day, and it's just the type that come and go quickly. A lot of the rain in the tropics seems to come at night.

the weather forecasts for the bay islands are pretty much useless, everyday it says rain but my 16,000 gallon rainwater cistern is almost empty

we were there last week and the "forecast" was showers every day...never saw a drop of rain...the island appears to be in a drought...a lot of things looked dead or brown from the lack of...when I ask Jessie (DM) he did say they had not any substantial rain in a while....unless there is a tropical storm/hurricane...most are just afternoon/nightly showers...you are going diving you are gonna be wet anyway ;-p...have fun

That is what the forecast said several weeks before I left (I went last month) and I was freaking out but everyone told me it would be fine and that the forecast was wrong. Turns out it was almost right. The weather was kinda cruddy (if you call two days of strong wind, a decent amount of rain and overcast skies for a week crappy, diving was even cancelled for a day). I just had a terrible winter here in Wisconsin and wanted desperately for amazing tropical HOT weather...so for me it was crappy. The rain never lasted long. But....when I got there they told me that the past several months the weather had been perfect and just that week was crappy, the week I happened to be there. So.....even though it was kinda true for me, don't trust it. The forecast here for Roatan pretty much ALWAYS says the same thing.
And hey, even if there is crappy weather, do like I did...just go on as many dives as possible...and you won't know the difference. Seriously, you'll have a great time even with some showers! :) Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hi -- headed to Roatan next week with the family. If the weather report says it will rain every day (scattered showers) is that just the tropical one hour of hard rain and otherwise sunny? Is there anything to fear regarding dive conditions or fun surface activities for non-diving kids and spouse?

Thanks in advance, Roatan experts.

That is what the forecast said several weeks before I left (I went last month) and I was freaking out but everyone told me it would be fine and that the forecast was wrong. Turns out it was almost right. The weather was kinda cruddy (if you call two days of strong wind, a decent amount of rain and overcast skies for a week crappy, diving was even cancelled for a day). I just had a terrible winter here in Wisconsin and wanted desperately for amazing tropical HOT weather...so for me it was crappy. The rain never lasted long. But....when I got there they told me that the past several months the weather had been perfect and just that week was crappy, the week I happened to be there. So.....even though it was kinda true for me, don't trust it. The forecast here for Roatan pretty much ALWAYS says the same thing.
And hey, even if there is crappy weather, do like I did...just go on as many dives as possible...and you won't know the difference. Seriously, you'll have a great time even with some showers! :) Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

There is a difference between the generic forecast in the tropics of "chance of showers" and a predicted storm forecast.

:) Yes, he has nothing to worry about....wish I had such luck! My forecast did say lightening and thundershowers so it wasn't predicting the normal chance of showers so that's looking good!

There is a difference between the generic forecast in the tropics of "chance of showers" and a predicted storm forecast.

I wouldnt worry about the forecast. You're not going during the rainy season, so the showers may come and go. Also, the rain will be more likely on the windward south / east side of the island. Enjoy your time there. You're going to love it!

Roatan Joe - -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom