What goes in a travel save a dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaab

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi People

I just started a vlog on scuba and travel tips. My first is on the mysterious save a dive kit. In my years of diving I always notice that people have a hard time with what to put in one of those. Here is a link to my vlog. please leave comments and questions. If you like my vlog please subscribe.

[video=youtube_share;EXWISZs1Uf8]http://youtu.be/EXWISZs1Uf8[/video]

link if the above link does not work http://youtu.be/EXWISZs1Uf8

Last edited:
When I go out of the country, I pack a second first & second stage regulator. Have an older MK20UL/G500 that is my travel backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save a dive kit givens:

Slap Strap and neoprene snorkel keeper.

Spare inflator 1", and zip ties.

An thin brass and plastic HP gauge on a 24" HP hose.

Spare dustcaps (DIN and yoke).

A really stretchy mouthpiece.

(Maybe you are not looking for suggestions, but.)

I am always looking for advice. In these cases there is never one right answer.

I have an ever growing spares and tools case, but when traveling I usually don't take anything extra. It's already hard enough to get all the stuff I need in my luggage. I may take a spare battery for my dive computer. Then, if something breaks, I make do with what the diving centre has. It's usually fine. Would be different if diving on my own, not using the services of a dive centre.

It depends on the destination. If there are dive shops galore, I won't carry anything I know I can get there. If not, the I take what I need to save the vacation.

One thing I never travel without is a spare bottle opener. It's all about priorities.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I have been on dive boats where a hose oring pops and I was the only one with a spare. This is why I always carry that save a dive kit. If I go on a trip where no dive shop is available I bring a lot more. I have a video housing so I bring spares for that too.

But I think that kwinter is right. A bottle opener is important:D

One thing I never travel without is a spare bottle opener. It's all about priorities.

I have a pretty extensive save a dive kit in a small waterproof case that I stick in the bottom of my pack for boat and shore dives in SE FL. I have occasionally used many of the tools and parts to save dives, mostly other people's, over the years.

The one tool that gets used frequenly, is the trustly bottle opener, priceless.

I have been on dive boats where a hose oring pops and I was the only one with a spare. This is why I always carry that save a dive kit
A very good point. Many newer divers presume (understandably, but erroneously) that a dive boat will have some tools, possibly even O rings, to help if something needs a field repair. Have yet to be on one that predictably does: a) an adjustable wrench - one time, and then it was grossly rusted / frozen; b) hex keys - never found a boat that does; O rings - forget it; d)side cutters - one time. I know they didn't have them because I was the person on board that actually did have them, after the crew said, 'Sorry, we can't help.'

This is not a criticism of dive boats. Divers going on charters (day or longer) should not presume / expect that the boat will have tools that might be needed to fix a problem. A light 'travel' SAD kit is a good idea. I have seen people bring a big, rigid Stanley tool box on board as a SAD - bad idea.

I have one of these. I also carry oring kit(like the one in the video), mouth piece, zip ties, mask strip, spare batteries for the computer and transmitter

415726_diver_tool_kit.jpg

It's a Mares kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom