To dive with Yongala Dive at Ayr or 4 days 3 nights liveaboard with Adrenalin Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be travelling to Queensland next month and would really want to dive at Yongala Wreck. I have 2 options. First, to travel to Ayr and dive with Yongala Dive for 2 or more days at Yongala Wreck. Second option would be diving with Adrenalin Dive on the 4 days 3 nights liveaboard. This is the itinerary for the liveaboard.

Day 1 : 4 dives on Lodestone Reef including 1 night dive
Day 2 : 4 dives on Davies or Wheeler Reef including 1 night dive
Day 3 : 2 early morning dives on the SS Yongala Wreck (subject to weather)

To dive with the liveaboard, I'm afraid the weather on the third day is not good and the dive at Yongala will be canceled. Then I would miss the whole point of me flying all the way to Queensland just to dive at Yongala Wreck.
I have read some reviews online and there are people who had travelled all the way to Townsville or Ayr planning to dive at Yongala Wreck but the dive trips were canceled due to the weather and they left very disappointed.

Anyone knows how's the weather in July? The liveaboard trip is from the 14th till 17th of July. Is there a big possibility that the weather is good and will allow me to dive at Yongala Wreck on my third day?

Anyone has dived at Lodestone, Davies and Wheeler Reef? Are they any good? Is it worth diving there? If they are not really good, I might just travel up to Ayr and just dive at Yongala Wreck from there.

I haven't experience liveaboard before and would want to experience it. That is why it is so hard for me to choose between the two.

I'd go straight to Ayr and dive the Yongala from there to safeguard against the possibility that conditions might not permit diving there the one day the LOB allows for it. I can tell you from experience that cancellations happen regularly...however the best chance of an operator going is always Yongala Dive due to its proximity to the wreck. I almost missed out on it my first couple of times in the area and now just don't bother with considering any other option. It truly is one of the world's best dives and I'd hate for you to miss it.

I've never dove the other sites (Wheeler, etc.), but living in Malaysia you'll have opportunities to do liveaboards in areas with better overall diving and at a much lower cost than one in Australia.

And post a trip report herd after you do it! I really want to dive the Yongala someday.

Thanks very much ocdiver! Will stick with my initial plan to dive with Yongala Dive then!

PeterNBiddle, alright! Will post a trip report here. Can't wait!!!!!

I went for the liveaboard option.

It was touch and go with the weather, for the LB to actually go, but the weather was fantastic and I dived the Yongala twice at silly O clock in the morning. However, 12 years and 2000 dives later on, the Yongala still sits as my Number 1 dive.

For me as a backpacker it made so much more sense. At the time it was $180ish dollars to do the Yongala from Townsville or $550 to do 10 dives including the Yongala and get fed and watered. Obviously prices have gone up, but I say LB is the best option.

As for the weather in July. Sorry, don't know.

Watch out for the sea snakes on the Yongala. They are rather curious. Freaked me out the first time!

Back
Top Bottom