DS4 and/or FSR Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount_Stu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, i'm just configuring my first set of Sidemount equipment.... Having just bought the Xdeep Stealth 2, i can't really afford to buy new 1st stages, so am having to adapt what i was using for my backmount twins (doubles), at least for the forseeable future anyway.

Does anybody have a picture of an Apeks DS4 hose routing, and/or an Apeks FSR hose routing?

I'm just after which are the best LP ports on each of the first stages to use, and the best orientation for the first stage too....

hope that makes sense....

thanks for any help....

I'm a big fan of turret first stages for sidemounting, primarily because hose routing is going to depend a great deal on a number of variables, including whether you have first stages in or out, hose lengths, body size, and whether or not you're using swivels. For fixed port first stages, I'd say the best LP ports are going to depend on how the hose routes when you're using it ... put it on the port that's going to give you adequate length for comfortable movement without creating more length than you need ... which will tend to ride up behind your head if you're using a necklace/long hose configuration, or potentially get in the way if you're just routing them directly from the tank to your mouth. The benefit of turrets is you can move the port around to lengthen or shorten the hose as needed.

Sidemount is very much more a "custom" configuration than backmount ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Think about RT angle swivels.....Been using them for years.....They're simple, reliable and easy to maintain......Makes hose routing easy, especially on the Apeks DS4 which only has one HP port.......

Think about RT angle swivels.....

it's not lack of desire that's preventing me, it's lack of funds! I will get them eventually, but in the mean time I need to make what I have work to its best ability.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Lets start with what you want...

Do your want the spgs lollipop style or back under your armpits?
A long hose on none, one, or both regs?

Lets start with what you want...

Do your want the spgs lollipop style or back under your armpits?
A long hose on none, one, or both regs?

Hi, sorry, yes more information may be useful....

Right Cylinder:
Long hose, (looped under cylinder bungee, then across chest in traditional hog loop style)
Drysuit Inflation hose
6" Hose with SPG back under arm pit

Left Cylinder:
Short hose, on bungeed necklace
Xdeep Stealth Inflate

Hope that helps....

For the RH tank w/ the long hose The DS4 will suffice. I used to use a Tek3 1st stage (which is essentially a stripped down and blinged out DS4 :)) on the right cylinder with no problems. IMHO a turret w/ a 5th port is essential for the LH cylinder. Why not switch to the HOG D1 1st stage for the LH cylinder? It's a great performing and tough reg at an unbelievably low price. And it plays well with Apeks 2nd stages too so you only need to get the 1st stage.

I agree - a swivel first stage is more important for the left side, and the HOG D1 is a great economical 1st stage. Your BC inflator hose will screw into the end port on the swivel, and can be about 8 or 9 inches long to reach your inflator. Since you're using a drysuit, you may wish to consider substituting a shorter corrugated hose onto your inflator so it runs up the left side of your body. I hold mine in place with a thin loop of bungee attached through the triglide of my left shoulder D-ring.

As supplied in the kit, the corrugated hose is long enough to stretch across the chest, placing the infator near the right chest D-ring. I find this gets in the way of my drysuit inflator valve. Plus, I'm used to having the BC inflator on my left side on my other rigs.

If you're using a 7ft primary hose on your right tank, it will have enough length to run down the tank before coming back up across your chest. Consider orienting your DS4 first stage for optimum routing of your drysuit inflator hose. Again, a short hose is preferable for the drysuit inflator valve.

For the RH tank w/ the long hose The DS4 will suffice. I used to use a Tek3 1st stage (which is essentially a stripped down and blinged out DS4 :)) on the right cylinder with no problems. IMHO a turret w/ a 5th port is essential for the LH cylinder. Why not switch to the HOG D1 1st stage for the LH cylinder? It's a great performing and tough reg at an unbelievably low price. And it plays well with Apeks 2nd stages too so you only need to get the 1st stage.

Right Cylinder:
Long hose, (looped under cylinder bungee, then across chest in traditional hog loop style)
Drysuit Inflation hose

This side is easy long hose down along the tank, then back up, to your chest across your chest behind your head to your mouth
most people use 9" SPG hoses if routing into the armpit but you'll figure that out
18" inflator hose down along the tank then up and to your suit inflator. do not get this too short, its a royal pain to get geared up with a tiny inflator hose in the armpit of a drysuit.
Left Cylinder:
Short hose, on bungeed necklace
Xdeep Stealth Inflate

the difficult side...
You'll notice there are 3 ports on one side, an hp and 2 lps. this is the side you want facing up. you will need to orient the valve openings up and the regs in your armpits
spg down again
short hose off the "side" lp port closest to the hp port
whatever length bc inflator hose you need (will depend on corrugated hose length) off the other inner lp port, route this down the tank a few inches then back up to the chest clipped inflator

While I'll agree that having swivel first stages is the ideal way to go, you can use your FSR for sidemount diving. Point your spg down and angled outward a bit. That leaves 2 lp ports facing up. Short hose to bungeed necklace on one port and a 9"-14" lp inflator hose on the other. Route your inflator over to your right shoulder and the inflator hose should be able to reach it without any kinks. Sorry, I don't have any pics, but you can kind of see it at the 4 second mark of this video.
https://vimeo.com/78788999
It's what our shop owner uses. Mind you, she dives two short hoses because we all sidemount, but you should be able to get the idea. That's her in the mustard colour helmet. I don't think she had any issues with the set up, and she did use it for her Advanced Cave Sidemount course with Protec (where the Stealth was designed).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom