Yongala

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting to and from the Yongala is a long trip, and I wonder if there are any 2-day liveaboards that might stay solely at the Yongala? If so, (1) what are the liveaboards, and (2) does anyone have an opinion on whether the site would be enjoyable for four-six dives?

Are there other fine dive sites out of Townsend? I went to Osprey/GBR trip last year, and I suppose I'd use that as a measuring stick for reef diving.

Bill

Gidday Bill.
Having done the Yongala several times, I can assure you, 4 to 6 dives would still be enjoyable. However, I am pretty sure there are no operators that stay there. A company called Adrenalin dive (AKA Pro-Dive Townsville) do day trips. Mike Ball does live-aboards 2-3 days, but do not spend the entire time at the site, but give them a ring anyway. If you want to drive about 2 hours North to a place called Mission Beach, there is a large wreck called the Lady Bowen, a big steel hulled schooner from about 1890 (I think). Haven't dived it myself, but it was only found a few years ago and is supposed to be pretty good. Unfortunately I can't remember the operators name. I will ahve a look thru the local phone book and get back to you.

Regards.

Gidday again Bill.
A couple of phone numbers for you

Mike Ball Dive Expeditions U.S free call 1800 952 4319

Adrenalin Dive (Yongala) 61 7 47240600

Mission Beach Dive Charters (Lady Bowen) 61 7 4068 7277

Mission Beach Dive and Tackle (Lady Bowen?) 61 7 4068 7294

There is a guy in A (about an hour south of Townsville) who has just started running day trips to Yongala using a fast inflatable, which cuts the trip down to about an hour. I will try and get his name and number for you.

Regards

Thanks very much. I'll look forward to getting the phone number of the chap running the inflatable. BTW, I did send an inquiry to Adrenalin Dive but never received a response, and hence posted this thread. Thanks again for the help.

Bill

Adrelnalin Dive does day trips... 2 dives on the Yongala and a long trip to and back. Did that once and had a crazy skipper named Mark who threatened and chastised divers (including me). The dive guides were super though. I did complain to the owner of Adrenaline Dive and would recommend the operation (but stay away from the skipper named mark) ONLY if you have 1 day to dive the GBR. It is probably the best site to do on the inner reef. My first tiger shark in OZ was at the Yongala. Just remember NOT to penetrate the wreck as it is a monument. Over the years, I've had seen a few people get nailed for doing it, and deservingly so. It's also better to do it with Nitrox if you can. Watch your bottom times especially on the Adrenaline. They like to be out of the water and on the way by 2.30 pm. So they rush you to the 2nd dive with less than 90 min surface interval if you had a long 1st dive.

"Getting nailed" for penetration of the Yongala most recently meant a visit to jail and expulsion from Australia for one US dive tourist. It's been declared a historic shipwreck, inside the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, and officials are serious about enforcing the no-penetration rule.

More info on the wreck can be found at http://www.townsvillemaritimemuseum.org.au/Yongala.htm, and it's bell can be viewed at the Townsville Maritime Museum. It's been over 90 years since it sank. I ork with a guy who did a few penetration dives on it before it was declared a historic shipwreck - supposed to be fantastic inside.

Wettek -- Thanks for the info. I did not receive a reply to an mail to that address, and suppose that a phone call is next -- thank heavens for phone cards! Thanks again for the help.

I just got a reply from Heather at Yongala Dive. She attached a press release, which I am copying in part, since it seems to give good info about their services.

Yongala Express, a purpose built 10m rigid Inflatable dive charter boat will be running
day trips from Ayr to the world famous S.S. Yongala shipwreck. The Yongala Express
Will whisk you from Alva Beach for an exhilarating 40 minute ride to the wreck at
speeds of up to 25 knots.

Yongala Dive is run by the owner-operated team Heather Batrick and Luke McNamara, both PADI Scuba Instructors who have much experience in local dive charters. They aim to provide certified divers with a unique adventure trip to the S.S. Yongala. Small intimate groups of up to 12 passengers ensure that they can afford you lots of personal attention and they look forward to guiding and assisting guests around a diversity of marine life not found anywhere else in the world.

Your journey ends with an opportunity to share experiences over a late BBQ lunch and we are sure that those experiences will leave you as enthusiastic as we are.

The Yongala Express will initially run five days a week from Alva Beach (just 16kms from Ayr) Wednesday to Sunday, although they will be open for private charters 7 days a week.

Bookings and further enquiries can be made by calling Heather direct on 0414 703831 and email enquiries (especially for group bookings) can be directed to the company on info@yongaladive.com.au

Back
Top Bottom