Trip report Sardinia 13-15th June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ninpuukamui

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
From my experience, Sardinia is one of the best places for diving in the Mediterranean, and Alghero has some of the best diving sites nearby.

I choose to dive with Capo Galera Diving Center after reading reviews for various diving centers in the area, and I have to say I had a great time with them. Every one of the staff is friendly and helpful, the equipment is well maintained and in very good working order, and the dive sites and incredible and unique. For all dives, there was at least one staff member for every two people, and were always as accommodating as possible to my requests. I was staying at a nearby camp-site, and they had no problem picking me up; also, I was too cold, and they lent me a hood free of charge. There is a toilet and hot shower available to customers, but no towels, so bring your own - Although I didn't and one of the DMs lent me his - Thanks, Jesper!

I dove there for two days. My first dive was in a cavern that was nothing too special, at least I don't remember anything special about it. However, my second five was the best of the two dives at Grotta Dei Fantasmi (Ghost Cave), and amazing cave with calcite rocks inside, that shine light through when you put your torch on the other side. The water is so clean, specially at the exit trough a long, small white tunnel. Tully breath-taking.I finished the day with a night dive accompanied by Jesper, who has a real good eye for macro: he was able to find three sea-horses hiding in the seagrass. It took me a while to see the last one even when he was pointing right at it, those guys can really camouflage! We also saw the normal critters on a Mediterranean night dive: octopi, cuttlefish, crabs. I love to see all those animals, so no complains from me. Best part of the dive was the huge school of small silver fishes we saw at the end, reflecting the light from our torch with silver flashes everywhere you looked; simply magical! It's a very shallow shore dive, so if you are ok in below 20°C water, you can stay there for quite a while.

For my second day I wanted to do the Grotta di Nereo and Grotta di Falco, but sadly due to the sea conditions, it was not possible. However, I had such a great day again, that I didn't mind a bit. For the first dive we went to Grotta della Madonnina, a beautiful cavern covered with Yellow Cluster Anemone everywhere, giving it a very beautiful yellow colour everywhere you looked, even the ceiling! After the dive, Pisola very helpfuly sit with every diver and showed them the different fishes they saw, so that's pretty nice. Second dive was Grotta delle Stalattiti, beautiful cave where you can breath the air in the lake, and some great rock formations. After an adequate 10 euro lunch at the center, my last dive was Grotta dei Cervi, and boy was I in for a surprise. Possibly the most unique of my dives, inside you can see the remaining of various deer, that died between 120.000 and 75.000 years ago. Absolutely awesome.

The only issue I had in all my dives was the water temperature. I use a 5.5 and I'm really not good on 18°C water, as I'm not used to diving in the Mediterranean. I suppose it's time to buy a top to wear under the suit!

All in all, a fantastic experience, and I may go back to explore the rest of the caves!A big thank you to Fede, Duccio, Lukas, Jesper, Pisola, and the rest of the staff.

Link to the diving center: Capo Galera Diving Center - Sardinia

Back
Top Bottom