Things that make me wonder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many (almost all) diving articles encourage going slow, sometimes just hanging in the same spot, in order to really see what's going on. Covering a lot of ground is discouraged.

Now look at fin advert's./names Atomic Aquatics "Speed Demon", Aeris "Velocity 3X", Aquabionic "Maximum Efficiency and Power", ScubaPro "Twin Jet Max", Oceanic "Vortex V-16", Tusa "X-Pert Zoom", etc.

So which is it? Seems to me there's huge mixed messages. Should we take our time and cruise slowly to see everything we can or rip right along to cover as much ground as possible? I understand that there are times when you need/want to cover a bit more ground or need to fight a current - but methinks there's a lot of hype coming from fin manufacturers. I've used Cressi Freefrogs, Aeris Velocity 3X, and Aeris Accel in pretty stiff river current - big performance differences? - not so much. Huge differences in weight and length though.

You can move slowly with powerful fins, but it's harder to move quickly when needed with slow (read soft, small) fins.

As for diving style, I haven't noticed "many (almost all) diving articles" saying we should go slowly. Maybe I read a different type of articles. I think there are places where slow is good, but in others I like to move and see things, especially because often there are several points of interest that can be reached during the same dive.

... the most popular fin in scuba diving history? ... Jets ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

With regards to the fins; manufactures will keep coming up with all kinds of hype and fluff to grow its peace of the pie.

You are right that slowing down is the way to go. There are many good reasons to slow down like better (lower) gas consumption, less CO2 retention, better buoyancy, not scaring the crap out of wildlife, less chance of separation, less effort on heart, better situational awareness, better chance of seeing smaller and shy critters, less stress to the rest of the group trying to keep up. Lastly if you go quick you will die!!

If diving was all about speed it would be a competitive sport :blessing:

And Slingshots are even faster. Ask Wile E. Coyote...

Only if attached to a rocket.....

I suppose there are times when fast fins could be beneficial ... :wink:

:sharkattack:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added June 25th, 2014 at 10:40 AM ----------

Only if attached to a rocket.....

... or a pair of them ...

114370_big.jpg

People dive for a lot of different reasons. If you are seriously interested in marine life, moving slowly is almost always the right approach, because so much relies on camouflage for survival, and you miss a great deal if you are swimming fast. (The person who gets back on the boat complaining that he didn't see anything has often been the one moving the fastest.). On the other hand, in the Red Sea, we spent a lot of time trying to keep up with pods of dolphins, and you need to move FAST to do that!

Some of my friends dive for reasons I can't fathom. Their biggest pleasure is to clip on an underwater scooter and spend their whole bottom time zooming around like madmen. Maybe some of the people who like "fast fins" are like that.

It would be interesting to see a fin touted as helping divers move more slowly.

Seems to me that in most dives it's necessary to cover some ground quickly to get to and from the place where you want to cruise around slowly.

Back
Top Bottom