A warning on Cabezon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I caught a cabezon fishing at the north end of Big Sur. It was green so I think it was a female but we didn't find any roe. Cut open its stomach (which was a baby blue) and found four crustaceans and two mollusks(?) in varying states of decay. Pretty cool experience.

Oh, and I scooped out its eye with a spoon.

I don't hunt any more but I would never have considered eating any fish roe. Below is a picture of a cabezon guarding its nest:

DDDB 600y cabezon and nest.jpg

Really...the is just :censored:

It's not as bad as I made it sound heh...we used most of the fish for food. It was really good, but cutting around the head was a pain - it's really bony and juts back pretty far into the body of the fish. Its eyes were massive, too, about as big as mine on a creature not a tenth the size. Haven't had much luck with them since, though. My favorite spots got fished out :/ A lot of guys fish to sell, not to eat, which IMO is sad but some might disagree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom