learning scuba after learning freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballastbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have been skindiving for years to 25m . I enrolled in a padi OW course next week.

any advice?

any one been through this 'conversion' to blowing bubbles ?

thx

I was freediving before scuba. I believe it helped me through the OW class because I was already comfortable in the water and wearing a wetsuit. It does take a bit to get rid of the muscle memory of holding your breath and swimming up fast.

Yep...just remember that you can actually breathe under water. Welcome to SCUBA diving. I think you'll enjoy being able to stay down more than a few minutes before resurfacing. :cool2:

Also, don't be that "panicky diver" you posted about :wink:

Hi, I have been skindiving for years to 25m . I enrolled in a padi OW course next week.

any advice?

thx

You will find it easy and enjoyable, you did it the right way! probably be better then 80% of the rec scuba divers!

do the theory online to save your time! padi OW course http://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba-registration/purchasecourse.aspx?CourseType=ow

Then you'll always have access to the latest data for OW scuba diving!

any advice?

thx

I did not learn in that order, but you are different than a normal scuba student. You are more relaxed and comfortable, but you must keep reminding yourself that your instincts are deadly. When stressed you have learned to take off for the surface holding your breath, no matter how bad your lungs hurt or burn, you are NOT going to exhale on ascent when freediving ... Your lungs can explode on scuba from a depth of 5 feet..

Also, don't give up your freedive fins, unless maybe if you have to scramble over big rocks and do a surf entry.

i guess thats the main difference between the two sports, in freediving just following your inner (dophin?) instinct will protect you, whilst in scuba its not very intuitive, without techincal instruction & procedure you could easily kill yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom