Trying to go full SS backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Bought a XT Dive Rite plate, the one with all the cutouts. Usually use soft pacs harness for last several years. I'm 6' 3" and I set the plate up with an XL Transplate harness. No water or dives on it yet. 2 ??? I can barely touch the top of the plate with fingers, but am concerned that the waist strap is fully 2 to 3 inches above my belly button. Seems high, but would hate to lower the plate on my back. Is this normal for regular size plates?

Sounds like you need an extra long plate. They are out there, but difficult to find. My tech instructor is about the same height as you & needed a longer plate because of lower back issues. He had a machine shop add another 3- 4" of SS to the bottom of his. It was expensive, but the shop did an excellent job welding & molding the extension to his plate.

yep, that plate is likely too short.... Joint the club.

If you are diving something like an AL80 or an HP 100, you could really raise the tank, but I will say that a long plate can really make a pleasant difference. Regrettably, there aren't many choices. I am only aware of DSS having "standard production" models in long and x-long. I happen to own 2 longs (one kydex and one SS) and an x-long (ss). It wasn't until I tried one, that I realized how ill-fitting my past equipment had been.

There is going to be some "sticker shock" when you find them, though one occasionally pops up in the classifieds, and there was an unbelievable deal a few weeks back of a full set-up...

I'm 6'6" and I'm using a standard plate. I tried lengthening the waist belt and shortening the crotch strap to pull the middle of the waistband down but went back to normal. The waist band high never bothered me. I can still do valve drills on my doubles. Why the concern with having the waist strap above belly button?

Deep Sea Supply makes a longer backplate for taller divers. As an aside, the waist strap should ride above the belly button on a bp/w, rather than on the hips.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Diving isn't like hiking, you want the waist strap higher.

Since your 6' 3" you could use the extra long plate Tobin sells. Check out DDS. Their plate is a little more expensive, but I like how they are designed myself. Really though you should be able to make you regular plate work just comes down to whats comfortable for you.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=115

As an aside, the waist strap should ride above the belly button on a bp/w, rather than on the hips.

Yes, but not at the bottom of your rib cage.... at 6'-7", most fit me like I'm Baby Huey.... long was fine for single tank, but X-long made it sit perfect for valve reach with doubles.

It does make a difference. You never know until you have experienced it....

Yes, the bottom of the rib cage is not good. I'm just a short guy, not something I have to worry about. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Guys, I really want this plate to work. I like the cutouts and less weight SS. I dive with steel tanks and usually use no weight with 5mm and extra vests. Don't need a solid SS plate and don't like aluminum.

If you are diving a single tank, there really isn't any reason why you can't lower the plate until the waist band sits somewhere comfortable. The tank can then be raised in the cambands so that you can reach the valve. In doubles, you do not have this luxury, because you have to bolt the tanks to the plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom