min. wing size to twinset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikkel-kj

Registered
Reaction score
hi,
i have a 2x7L twinset and need to buy a new wing.
I have found a rather cheap wing, but it only have 14Kg lift.
Is that enough?
Im thinking about getting 2x8,5L twinset later in my life, will it also be big enough for that?

Yes they are steeltanks

---------- Post added June 27th, 2014 at 06:17 PM ----------

is 23Kg. lift to big?
or is it the right size?

I have twin 300bar 7s and I use an Apeks WTX3 (32lbs) wing with them, no problems. I did try them with a 40lb wing but found that the wing was too wide and tended to wrap around the tanks. It would have been ok with a wide manifold, but mine is a narrow one and it was cheaper and easier to change the wing rather than change the manifold and bands :wink:

Maybe this will help : I've got a wing with 45 lb / 20,4 Kg lift. I dive it with mono short 12L, 15L, twin 10L, twin 12L (all of them steel), 15L + S40 stage, twin 10L and twin 12L + S80 stage(s ; 2 max). Never had a problem one way of the other (not too big, not too short).

hi,
i have a 2x7L twinset and need to buy a new wing.
I have found a rather cheap wing, but it only have 14Kg lift.
Is that enough?
Im thinking about getting 2x8,5L twinset later in my life, will it also be big enough for that?

There is a very popular sticky thread called The Ultimate Wing Lift Calculator where someone on this board put together an Excel spreadsheet where you input all of your rig and body variables and it spits out a minimum wing lift calculation. Essentially, your wing should be able to float your entire rig without you being in it. (The reason is that there are *plausible instances* when you would need to float your rig separate from your body). I would highly recommend carefully reading this thread and if you spend enough time analyzing what is being said and what is being calculated not only will you have your answer, but you'll be able to wrap your head around some buoyancy concepts that I think a lot of people don't think about or are not fully aware of.

Take note: The original spreadsheets supplied in the original post have been updated and the newest version occurs well into the thread a few pages (Post #78, for instance, has an updated version)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom