GPS Tracker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShootingUnderwater.com

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Have you or someone you know used a personal GPS tracker?

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take along during drift dives or night dives. I've been whisked away in a current or two, and while the tender crew are excellent at spotting divers, the question is often posed "what would you do if they don't spot you?" Well, I'm not sure other than to swim to the nearest parcel of land. So, I wonder - should I invest in a personal GPS Tracker?

Your thoughts?

I carry a waterproof, floating PLB anytime I leave the house - anywhere. For diving, I have to carry it in a dive canister, but if I ever need it - it can be a real life safer.

Depends upon the conditions you dive in. You should always have the proper equipment.

I have never been in or travelled to dive locations where current is an issue. And have no plans to change my current dive behavior. So for me the answer is no.

But I realize there are lots of locations were current is a major consideration. For these situations a PLB should be considered.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2014 at 01:59 AM ----------

P.S. not sure you need to carry it to the grocery store like Don does.....

P.S. not sure you need to carry it to the grocery store like Don does.....
If I never left town, it'd be different - but I may head to the grocery, but take a side trip in the country side. Hardly a day passes that the news doesn't mention a search for lost travelers or their remains, many of whom could have been easily saved by sticking the PLB where it has a direct sight of the sky and punching a button. A waterproof, floating PLB costs $250 USD ($200 after rebate in the US), good for 5 years, weighs 4 ounces, easy to carry anywhere - and while it is a one time use item, if you need to use it and submit a good rescue story, they'll replace it free. Free shipping and rebates available. ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Floating Personal Locator Beacon The GPS Store

Ontario has some wild country, but you may never leave town...??

Last edited:
Another vote for the nautilus lifeline. It's not only a GPS tracker, but also a 2 way marine radio. This means you can use it to hail the boat in a less than emergency situation. It also logs your gps locations so you could download the data and plot your drift, if you actually ended up drifting on the surface.

I had to use mine once, on a night dive in Key Largo. I won't do ocean dives without one since that experience.

Here's a pic of what the thing looks like when actually being used:

attachment.php

DandyDon Why do you think the PLB is a one time use? The battery is replaceable after 6 years or 5 years after put in to service?. I do not currently own a PLB but own an older GPS enabled EPIRB (Same technology) and have replaced the battery. What cannister are you putting the PLB in?

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 09:24 AM ----------

Kelemvor Has Nautilus added a Lifeline with GPS tracking? I do not see one on the web site. The model I see use an MMSI number and DSC to transit you GPS info via VHF to the base systems and other VHF DSC radios. I really would like to see someone come out with a PLB intergrated with a DSC VHF.

…Why do you think the PLB is a one time use?...

PLBs are not one-time use as-in throw them out, though refurbishing can be expensive enough to consider just buying a new one. Most, if not all, PLBs must be sent back to the factory after the antenna has been deployed. This allows them to replace the battery and test the unit. That significantly increases the chance it will work when needed and for the rated duration. Presumably, if you deploy the antenna you have also run the battery down significantly.

DandyDon Why do you think the PLB is a one time use? The battery is replaceable after 6 years or 5 years after put in to service?. I do not currently own a PLB but own an older GPS enabled EPIRB (Same technology) and have replaced the battery. What cannister are you putting the PLB in?
Ok, I was simplifying. The battery is one time use up to 5 years, but the battery can cost almost as much as a new unit. I hope there will be even better options on new units by the time mine expires. I really like that the company will replace the battery and test the unit for free if it's used and returned with a rescue story.

I use a McMurdo Dive Canister, rented from Outdoor Equipment Rentals. I see one site selling them for $246 delivered, but OER's rental rates are so cheap - see link in my Sig. A member named Mike who posts frequently in the Cozumel forum bought a plastic one that required he shave the antenna down some, which would be cheaper and lighter in checked luggage.

The PLB I carry in my car anywhere it takes me, or in my backpack if I change vehicles, drive a tractor, go on a hike, other travels, etc. Driving to, thru, and beyond Death Valley last week with my kids - it was a lot more reassuring than any cell phone. There are pros & cons to the Nautilus, but it's worthless on inland adventures - and for an average cost of $40/year, it seems like a no brainer to carry a PLB in any car that leaves town out here in the wild west. :cool:

Mine goes where I go, in my car, my backpack, my dive canister. Costs less than $40/year over 5 year lifespan and can be the difference between life & death. We were near there a couple of weeks ago, looking down from Zabriskie Point towards where he was found - horribly rough terrain, then we drove the road on the other side to Devils Golf course and Badwater Basin...
'Harry Potter' Actor David Legeno Dies Hiking in Death Valley

I guess she saved $243 by not buying one?
Kayakers found after overnight search on bay | FOX 11 Online | WLUK-TV

Back
Top Bottom