Why are 2 AOW-level divers allowed to dive unaccompanied?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all - I have always wondered why 2 AOW-level divers without Rescue Diver certification are allowed to dive unaccompanied. IMHO, there should be a minimum requirement of Rescue Diver certification plus a minimum number of dives. Could someone shed light on this please? Thank you.
Ange

Hi all - I have always wondered why 2 AOW-level divers without Rescue Diver certification are allowed to dive unaccompanied. IMHO, there should be a minimum requirement of Rescue Diver certification plus a minimum number of dives. Could someone shed light on this please? Thank you.
Ange

What makes you think divers need to be accompanied as you suggest?

By definition Open Water Certified divers are prepared to dive with peers in conditions comparable to their training from day 1. From there scope grows with experience and training.

Pete

Think of it this way - when I was certified - we had OW Certifications - there were no limits - I was able to dive 100+ foot dives - beach dives to my hearts content and get the thrill of a life time diving when I wanted. Things were a bit different - most divers were water savvy - lifeguards or water loving fools were the ones getting certified. Now AOW certs (IMO only) - does not mean squat - you could still be afraid of the water - have very little experience... So what is magical about AOW or any certification - other than technical (Cave or Wreck)? Nothing... You are responsible for your own safety and need to know your limits and those around you if you want to keep the group safe. This can be done slowly or as quickly as you want but only you know how comfortable you are in any situation. You can buy certifications that only prove you are book smart - not water savvy or street smart...
Once you start checking certs at the water's edge - I think you lose the battle of getting folks experience and getting comfortable in the water... again only my opinion...

Only Diving will allow you to be more comfortable diving...

He is thinking along the lines of CMAS in France is what I am getting. AOW is roughly just over a CMAS 1 star diver for most of the recreational agencies due to the lack of rescue training in the OW and AOW classes along with instruction in emergency deco and some other items. But this is not hard and fast since CMAS also goes by different guidelines based on the country it is awarded in. Also France has actual laws on the books regarding who can dive when, where, and with who. Unless you own your own compressor and all gear in which case the rules are negated unless diving in an area that requires them.

I would bet, and the OP can confirm, that he is looking at perhaps the entry and exit requirements for certification by PADI, SSI, etc. Where some of the material that would be included in a CMAS 2 star cert that allows two divers to dive together without supervision is not present until the level of rescue diver/ dive master or even higher since true emergency deco using deco tables is not even addressed in the recreational level training.

In the US CMAS cards are issued by SEI and an AOW diver can be a CMAS 2 star since we include rescue and deco as long as the instructor also certifies the diver has the minimum number of dives required. Which is one reason I set my entry/exit requirements for my advanced level training the way I did. Going by my guidelines I insure the person coming out of my advanced level class has all the requirements met for CMAS 2 star.

Just to add and clarify, SEI no longer has an AOW rating. Advanced levels have been renamed and the standards changed to more closely reflect the equivalent CMAS ratings. I was in on this as one of the authors and editors of our Advanced Level programs.

Maybe it's different in France... Wait, I know it's different in France. Ange, in most parts of the world, Open Water divers are "allowed" and in fact certified to dive as a buddy pair. There are no requirements beyond OW cert. Some places (like France) place government limits on recreational diving. Most parts of the world don't. That's why 2 AOW divers can dive as a buddy team.

Here is the guideline for CMAS-Germany and VDST:

1DZeXc0.jpg

"Nein" means no in German, "JA" yes, "Taucher" means Diver, and "mtr" is this weird length unit we use in Europe :).
Note that certain combinations are allowed to go deeper than other. In any case, I was never asked to show a C-card in Germany and think the only problem you might have is with your diving insurance in case of accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom