Best place for spectacular coral in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maria316

New
Reaction score
I want to figure out where is the best place to see healthy coral in Cuba, and whether I can do it snorkeling. I would consider getting certified to dive if necessary. I know that Cuba has some healthy coral off Los Jardines de la Reina, but I am trying to find a 2 or 3 day trip that is easier to access. Is there anything else that comes close to Los Jardine de la Reina in terms of pristine coral? I have considered Maria La Gorda, Cayo Levisa, Playa Giron and the sites nearby. I would also consider Isla de Juventad and Cayo Largo if I can do in 2-3 days. I have read that Hurricane Ivan might have ruined some of the coral at Maria La Gorda; does anyone know to what extent?. Thanks!

Hi Maria, I was visiting Cuba last year (July & August) and I was not impressed with the corals in Maria La Gorda and Playa Giron. You can snorkel in those two places but not much to see for snorkeling. However Playa Giron and Maria la Gorda are certainly awesome for tunnels diving. Both places have calm sea water for easy dive plus snorkeling.

I was snorkeling in Caleta Buena near to Playa Giron - it was a beautiful place, worth to try :)

Additionally I was diving in Jardines de la Reina and it was really nice. Anyway, if you will get certified in the end, perhaps you can read my review about diving in Cuba for Maria La Gorda, Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs) and Jardines de la Reina - Diving | indahs: travel story & photography

Good luck and hope you will find what you are looking for :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom